Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but ... After an incident at a mall that happened to my wife and I, I will be getting my CCW permit (in FL) and start carrying a PT738. My question is this; would a Crimson Trace be worth getting? My thought is that it would enable me to use more of an "instinctive" shot for the first round rather than coming all the way up to "full sight picture" shot. I've never tried a laser sight on a gun so have zero experience or reference. Looking a various forums I'm seeing yes and I'm seeing no, but no real discussion as to WHY yes or no. I suppose I COULD tape a laser pointer onto my PT111 and try that out to see :eek: :eek: (just kiddin')

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: whodog

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
I put one on my PT738. I like it; I do cover up the laser with black tape to practice without it. You never know when it will fail. I like the fact that I can carry it in a pocket holster and have my hand on it when I am approached while night fishing. With this little gun it can also help you with grip technique and trigger pull. Practice dry firing, at first that laser point was jumping everywhere. After some slight adjustments to grip and trigger finger placement I can hold on target a lot better.

It is a personal choice and people will always be on both sides of it. The important thing is to do what you are most comfortable with.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Sounds like fishin' said it rite for me. I put a CT laser on my daughter's TCP to help her. Plus, you do get a little lite where it points, also, when it gets dark. I have a laser on most of my guns...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'd say "go for it"!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Full sight picture on a 738?........ Oh yeah, now I have my reading glasses on, I see the sights. I agree with the previous posts. It sounds like you're on the right track regarding CT. They make good stuff. And just like fishin said, you'll need to practice. Little pistols wiggle big.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I have one on my TCP. It will certainly help you get on target quicker......just be aware in bright light it can be hard to find.....Always practice getting on that front sight quickly before you start looking for the laser...
in a low light condition you can pick the laser up quickly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the comments. What I'm hearing is laser is great, but practice with and without; sounds like good advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would STRONGLY suggest that you handle a 738 with a Crimson Trace laser before you buy one. The laser activation button is located very close to the trigger guard on the front strap and sometimes it is difficult to get your finger on the button just right and the laser to come on without shifting your grip a little. I've had a few words with Crimson Trace over this matter. It would have been soooo easy for them to have moved the button down a little. Just another case of designing something on the drawing board without trying it first......... "Sorry Mr. Burgler, you'll have to stand there for a minute until I can get my laser sight to come on."

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Sounds like fishin' said it rite for me. I put a CT laser on my daughter's TCP to help her. Plus, you do get a little lite where it points, also, when it gets dark. I have a laser on most of my guns...
I'm interested in what kind of lasers you use and the approximate cost if you don't mind sharing.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
I would STRONGLY suggest that you handle a 738 with a Crimson Trace laser before you buy one. The laser activation button is located very close to the trigger guard on the front strap and sometimes it is difficult to get your finger on the button just right and the laser to come on without shifting your grip a little. I've had a few words with Crimson Trace over this matter. It would have been soooo easy for them to have moved the button down a little. Just another case of designing something on the drawing board without trying it first......... "Sorry Mr. Burgler, you'll have to stand there for a minute until I can get my laser sight to come on."
Yes, try one out is best. I was able to get mine at a gun show, they put it on and I tried it out first before buying. My finger lands on it nicely. A friend of mine has one on his 709 and my finger falls just below it and I have to search for it. His hand lands on both his and mine just fine. Go figure???

It would be nice to see them made with an adjustable slide up and down the grip. Not much, maybe just a 1/4 inch. I think that would solve many grip/hand size issues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have one one mine and like it very much.

I did have to change my grip some. Basically, the first joint of my middle finger was directly over the button, this made it very difficult to activate. I changed to more of a "crush" grip and instead of the trigger being on the pad of my trigger finger, it is more in the joint.

I can easily dump seven rounds in a 4" circle at 7 yards.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Laser pro's: Can bring your gun onto target even when you can't get a proper sight picture.

Laser con's: Every time you handle the gun, even when cleaning (at least with the Crimson Trace) you're going to be turning the laser on inadvertently. With most other brands, there is an extra step involved in turning the laser on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The turn on button - can it be activated with the left index finger or the right only? (I'm a southpaw)

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
On the Crimson Trace the only activation button is on the front of the grip, don't matter if you are righty or lefty.

Untitledsss.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts