Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
738 Trigger (Pictures Added)

I've only had this gun for approx. 3 weeks but already the trigger seems to be doing some funky things. After racking the slide, immeaditately after starting the trigger pull there is a small click followed by some notchiness then followed by another louder click about a 1/3 of the way into the pull, then it is smooth the rest of the way. I did notice the hammer rides to one side, not centered, don't know if this makes a difference. Is this abnormal, I really don't recall if it was like this from brand new or it gradually got worse.

BTW, the gun has been well cleaned before use.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
My 738 and the wifes are both nice shooters and do not make any noise til they go bang. Your problem does not sound good to me but it may go away with break-in. You can continue to shoot it and see if it smooths out. With Taurus, you have a lifetime warranty. With a new gun, they will pick up the shipping charges within the first 6 months. Keep an eye on it and if it is still doing it around the 5 month mark, call customer service and tell them what it is doing. Request a shipping label to send it back in. Be prepared to verify and include your receipt to show date of purchase. Until then, shoot it as much as you can. Break-in is around 300-500 rounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello all, you can see the hammer is not centered and rides along the side of the frame, you can also see where the hammer is hitting the firing pin, also not centered on the hammer. 006.JPG 003.JPG

·
Registered
195 Posts
Send it in. My trigger messed up with less than 50 rounds thru the gun. I sent it back and they replaced the trigger bar. They also adjusted an out of spec extractor and magazine lips that were contributing to a lot of ftfs. I called and talked to a polite young woman who said she would ask the FedEx man to pick it up the following day. So I boxed it up and had it ready. Got an email once they received it saying it could take up to 6 weeks, but I was signing for it at my door 14 days later! It is working fine now!

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Hello all, you can see the hammer is not centered and rides along the side of the frame, you can also see where the hammer is hitting the firing pin, also not centered on the hammer. View attachment 53874 View attachment 53875
You pictures peaked my interest. I just took mine a part. It looks exactly the same. I have over 1000 problem free rounds fired. As far as the trigger goes, I get a light click as soon as I touch the trigger, and another light click just as I start to feel pressure in the trigger take up. After that nothing until the hammer drops. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I called Taurus and told them about the trigger/hammer and also the front pin works it's way out after shooting at the range and complained about the condition of the slide, it was scratched up to the point it looked like it was a well used gun. They agreed to send me a shipping label but told me I had to drop it off at a Fedex hub which for me is about 45 miles away, I called back again and spoke to a guy this time instead of the woman I spoke to the first call, he told me to just call Fedex and set up a pick up at my house which I did. Got the 738 back in 2 weeks, they did nothing to the hammer/trigger but they did replace the slide, weather it was for cosmetic reasons or they found a problem I have no idea they did not provide an explanation. They did not provide a free mag. as I have heard about from others. Anyway, took it to the range yesterday and it shot fine.

Fishinkeylargo, the description of your trigger sounds identical to my trigger, I guess what looks like a misaligned hammer is normal.

BTW, I don't think they did anything about the front pin, it was sticking out after I received the gun back from Miami.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow... I've never noticed this before. I took mine apart and sure enough - the trigger rides to one side, I get a first small "click" and then a second louder "click" before the trigger falls. I've never noticed any of these things before and I have around 400 trouble free rounds through mine. The only thing yours does that mine does not apparently is have the "notchiness". Mine is basically smooth throughout the pull.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I called Taurus and told them about the trigger/hammer and also the front pin works it's way out after shooting at the range and complained about the condition of the slide, it was scratched up to the point it looked like it was a well used gun. They agreed to send me a shipping label but told me I had to drop it off at a Fedex hub which for me is about 45 miles away, I called back again and spoke to a guy this time instead of the woman I spoke to the first call, he told me to just call Fedex and set up a pick up at my house which I did. Got the 738 back in 2 weeks, they did nothing to the hammer/trigger but they did replace the slide, weather it was for cosmetic reasons or they found a problem I have no idea they did not provide an explanation. They did not provide a free mag. as I have heard about from others. Anyway, took it to the range yesterday and it shot fine.

Fishinkeylargo, the description of your trigger sounds identical to my trigger, I guess what looks like a misaligned hammer is normal.

BTW, I don't think they did anything about the front pin, it was sticking out after I received the gun back from Miami.
I had some misfeeding and then a major trigger issue with my TCP. I called Taurus CS and spoke with a nice young lady. She said that SHE would arrange for FedEx to pick it up the following day, which they did. I signed for it at my door 14 days later, and the gun was fixed. First rate in my book!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts