Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some research into the TCP. I came across some information regarding the TCP trigger. The owner stated if you short stroke the TCP 738 to the point where you hear the reset. The hammer is only at the half way point. The hammer will fall however the round may or may not go off since the hammer is falling from the half way point. If this occurs you have to rack the slide in order to reset the trigger and put the gun back into battery. He demonstrated it on U-tube. It was not a malfunction it was based on the design of the weapon. In other words you cannot short stroke the trigger even if you hear the reset click becuase the hammer is only at the half way point. The trigger must be fully released to fully cock the hammer. Is this so? Is this a dated design? Say "it ain't so"! This would render this weapon un-carriable for me. Cannot have a 50% follow up shot capability if I short stroke this thing in a high pressure personal defense situation. Yikes!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I know there is a thread on this topic, but I can't find it. Sorry. Maybe someone else can find it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Short resetting the trigger only releases it from its rest point, instead of cocking it first. I fired about 10 rounds this way, only was a FTF with a light strike. I ran it through again with a full trigger pull and it went off.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emm hmm so it sounds like you would have to develop a habit of making sure to fully release th trigger to ensure a round cycles and the hammer is reset, in other words DOA only. Makes sense. Does give the Keltec some advantage though since you can reset on a short stroke with a PF9 w/o failure to fire. Smooth trigger though on the TCP.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Why are you comparing a PF-9 to a TCP/738? Shouldn't that be with a P3-AT?

I rapid fire my 738 as part of my personal regimen to maintain my skill with it and I have never run into that problem. It is after all a DAO trigger. Now the 709 Slim will work with a short reset, but that is a different type of trigger.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have accidentally short stroked my TCP the first time out. It did fire the round. After getting used to the trigger I haven't done it again.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
I was doing some research into the TCP. I came across some information regarding the TCP trigger. The owner stated if you short stroke the TCP 738 to the point where you hear the reset. The hammer is only at the half way point. The hammer will fall however the round may or may not go off since the hammer is falling from the half way point. If this occurs you have to rack the slide in order to reset the trigger and put the gun back into battery. He demonstrated it on U-tube. It was not a malfunction it was based on the design of the weapon. In other words you cannot short stroke the trigger even if you hear the reset click becuase the hammer is only at the half way point. The trigger must be fully released to fully cock the hammer. Is this so? Is this a dated design? Say "it ain't so"! This would render this weapon un-carriable for me. Cannot have a 50% follow up shot capability if I short stroke this thing in a high pressure personal defense situation. Yikes!
well actually 2 things can happen, as you mention to light of a hammer hit to fire the round or simply no trigger pull at all.
the 738 is a small carry pistol and has no safety so this is a safety system to prevent you from shooting yourself.
if the trigger had a smooth, light trigger pull then it would be dangerous to carry where you are likely to carry a 738.
to obtain these safer triggers the 738 has a kind of hybrid operational system being half single action/half double atcion.
the no trigger reset is a casualty of this system.
you just need to become familiar with the gun like any weapon it has its peculiarities.
I mean all my 1911 's will not fire unless you cock the hammer back first, i mean how weird is that?
all this has beeen throughly discussed here on the forums.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It makes sense. It is definitely small enough where if you AD'd I could see how you could easily shoot yourself. That is one reason I like the snubbies. If you short stroke them you either roll the cylinder or lock the trigger and all you have to do is release and pull the trigger again. With semi's when a malfunction or FTF occurs you have to rack the slide. It is still a firearm of interest for me though.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
With semi's when a malfunction or FTF occurs you have to rack the slide. It is still a firearm of interest for me though.
Well not if you got a aTaurus semi auto with double strike ability like the 24/7 series, you just do the same thing as the revolver , pull the trigger again.
the TCP is just not your typical double action only semi.
everything is a trade off and all and all the 738 I like overall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts