Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good choice for initial break in ammo forone of these pistols?

How about self defense ammo?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
In these times, I would have to believe anything you can find will be what you use to break it in. I would suggest you stay away from steel cased ammo like Tul Ammo.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I second the fmj. You really need the ball ammo to polish up that feed ramp. Mine experienced feed problems at first, but after 100 rounds it has gotten better. After 200 I expect the problem to be gone. The 738 is definitely not a comfortable range pistol, but it serves it's intended purpose perfectly. I love mine! Well it's actually my wife's, but I'm thinking I might have to get one too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something to note - Hornady Zombie Maxx is identical to Hornady Critical Defense except the polymer tip is green instead of red. So I buy whichever one is on sale at the time. Have found both for as cheap as $16.99 a box (qty 25) the last couple months.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I couldn't find much in the way of ammo locally - only hollow points and no Hornady. I ended up with Speer Gold Dot 90 Gr GDHP - $22.99 for box of 20. I could only get one box, but at that price...

I decided on going shooting with my new toy and priceless ammo. Raining & nasty all day and I didn't want to shoot up my only box of ammo.

I will have to keep my eyes open for whats available and I have a friend who reloads so he may be able to fix me up.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Just be aware that the self defense loads are going to be a bit hotter than the normal fmj.....your hand will know the difference...You might want to hold off and get a box of fmj when you can . Shoot that and then maybea couple of mags of your Speer gold dots...then if the gold dots feed reliably, use them for your SD carry loads.....At any rate, enjoy your new TCP... They are great little guns!

·
Registered
580 Posts
When ammo supplies are normal... I have good luck with Privi FMJ ammo as my practice round and my TCP reliably and accurately shoots the same grain in either Winchester PDX1, or Ranger T JHP. It seems like the FMJ is harder to find than JHP now.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
After the first box of 50 FMJ, I would start shooting as many different brands and types of SD ammo I could lay my hands on. Forget about magic bullets and concentrate what you can shoot best with that particular 738.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will have to keep my eyes open for whats available and I have a friend who reloads so he may be able to fix me up.
Those reloads will void your warranty. Cheap now may cost you a bunch in the long run. Stick with factory loads. Bass Pro Shops had some Winchester SXT? Or something like that that was labeled "FMJ training ammo" for $21/50. So get a few boxed and feed it till it is reliable.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Reloads are like moonshine....good stuff when you get it from a trusted source. It is best to reload yourself. What a friend reloads is strictly good for his pistol, not yours.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
To the OP, I will assume you have taken the TCP apart and cleaned it?
If so, take it apart again and use Flitz polish and do the feed ramp.
Somewhere on TaurusArmedNet there is a guide to do things to the TCP
to make it more reliable. I have done ALL of them and the difference is night and day.:)

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
Something to note - Hornady Zombie Maxx is identical to Hornady Critical Defense except the polymer tip is green instead of red.
Well that and the fact that the Green tip will kill a Zombie and the red tip will not!
a very important deletion that you did not mention if you are confronted by a mad Zombie!
now as for the Silvertips and their usage!!
well thats another story!

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
reloads, non saami compliant ammunition and any altered ammunition will pretty mcuch void the warranty on any firearm.
the truth is however if properly loaded (or reloaded) this will never be an issue as you will have no more (and possibly less) problems from reloads than factory ammunition.
as i reload i would not shoot anothers reloaded ammo unless i knew them and their relaoding practices extremely well , and even then i would say let me try these in YOUR gun first!
there are more recalls on factory ammo than you may realize!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use any type of FMJ that my LGS carrys at the time. I use Hornady Critical Defense for carry. I have not done any of the modifications that are posted on a sticky for the 738 and I have had some FTE's when racking the slide manually. It's fine when shooting. I may need to look into doing some mods....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts