Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned my new 738 as I do any new gun, the dissasembly latch pin will not go back in the gun, there appears to be a spring blocking the lower edge of the hole it goes into. Theres no way to push it in, seems lake the latch pin should be tapered instead of a blunt end. Any thoughts ??? :confused:

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I had this same problem the first time i broke it down for cleaning.....it will go in with much cursing ,gnashing of teeth etc......walk away for a bit and then tackle it again... One person on here actually did file the tip a bit....I guarantee you, it will go in......its a common known difficulty....I wish taurus would sell a modified latch pin.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll take a break, check some other replies that may drift in. If worse comes to worse I can start a warranty claim, but seems stupid over that pin, I could easily file a taper on one edge and that should over come the interferance problem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Push the spring downward with the tip of the pin and push the pin right in. DO NOT FILE ON THE LATCH PIN!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Too late. I filed down the latch pin on my wife's 738 and it works MUCH better. I did not take off much and feel I did not comprimize the firearm at all. Just using the tip of the pin to push the spring down was just not working till I took the edge off the end of the pin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I made a new pin, tapered but longer so it slides in past the spring but also goes all the way through the hole on the right side. Which the factory pin did not do, surprisingly. I would also not recommend filing the pin since it is barely long enough to reach into the frame. That pin also holds the barrel in place while cycling.

Despite all the work, the pin didn't matter anyway... The gun is now in Miami for a slide overhaul and will likely be going out the door afterward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i tryed using a pin to hold down the spring, there isn't enough clearance on mine to insert the latch pin while having a pin in there too. Was a good suggestion though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After 4th attempt she went in. Seemed like a combo of pushing / wiggling chamber end of barrel while pushing on latch pin, then that wonderful "click" and it was in. Now have to ring it out at the range. THANKS GUYS FOR YOU HELP !

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Push the spring downward with the tip of the pin and push the pin right in. DO NOT FILE ON THE LATCH PIN!!!
Exactly!
all you need to do is to drop the back end of the pin downward, place it on top of the spring and push it in as you raise the pin level.
course the barrel needs to be fully forward or the barrel under lug groove will not line up to allow the pin a place to go.
You can disassemble the gun by not taking the pin all the way out as well, so reassembly is simple as the pin is still in the gun.
its beginners blues! after a couple times it becomes easy!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have three of these pistols and the trick is to put it in before you put the slide on. You are able to place it in the hole with the head of the pin at a downward angle. Then rotate it up and it will move right into position, pushing the spring away. I keep a finger on the back of the hole inside the slide and when you feel it, it is in just enough that the slide is able to still be placed on the frame.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good advice, thanks! I wound up pushing the pin back in with a pair of pliers the first time and that did not seem right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts