Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new 738 for the wife who will be getting her CHL soon. We took some various ammo out to break it in, Win white box, PMC, and Black Hills JHP. We experienced early slide lock at least once per mag with all ammo. I thought she might be limp-wristing but then I also experienced the same failures when I tried the pistol.

Upon closer scrutiny at home it appears that the tab that contacts the follower after the last rd is fired also can contact the left side nose of live rds and cause the slide to lock back when it shouldn't. Not being the patient type willing to send the pistol to Miami I simply broke out the dremel and ground that tab down a little so it can't hit anything but the mag follower.

I might be able to get back out and retest in a few days but I was impressed that the 738 fed and ejected everything as it should. Our first mouse gun and once I get this lttle issue sorted out I think the wife will be confident carrying it.

Anyone else have issues with the slide lock on their pistols when new?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Just picked up a new 738 for the wife who will be getting her CHL soon. We took some various ammo out to break it in, Win white box, PMC, and Black Hills JHP. We experienced early slide lock at least once per mag with all ammo. I thought she might be limp-wristing but then I also experienced the same failures when I tried the pistol.

Upon closer scrutiny at home it appears that the tab that contacts the follower after the last rd is fired also can contact the left side nose of live rds and cause the slide to lock back when it shouldn't. Not being the patient type willing to send the pistol to Miami I simply broke out the dremel and ground that tab down a little so it can't hit anything but the mag follower.

I might be able to get back out and retest in a few days but I was impressed that the 738 fed and ejected everything as it should. Our first mouse gun and once I get this lttle issue sorted out I think the wife will be confident carrying it.

Anyone else have issues with the slide lock on their pistols when new?
Yes, sir. Not wanting to mess with mine, I sent it to Miami. They gave it a tweak, and it has been great ever since. Not an uncommon problem with the TCP. Great little gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, i also had the same problem with my XTP ammo but not with FMJ flat nose. I noticed the flat nose did not stick out far enough to catch. I will prolly file it down slightly. I will be very careful not to take too much.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Congrats to the OP for finding the problem and fixing it! When I saw the title, I was ready to explain the problem, give you the link to the TCP enhancement thread in the Smithing forum, and tell you a lot of us have experienced it. I have done it several times and will continue to do it in hopes of helping others out. The TCP is well worth making minor adjustments as it is a great carry gun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I kept haveing the same problem with mine was new its a D series
and I took mine to a gun smith who did the reliable enhancement
on mine it did the trick it cost me 40 bucks but it was well worth it

Take Care and have fun with that new pistol
Jeff;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't aware of the TCP enhancement section but I'll check that out. One thing to remember - if you remove the slide and insert a full mag you will see that the bullet nose will probably clear the slide lock tab easily, but under recoil all those rds in the mag will get knocked forward in the mag and the bullet nose will be much closer, possibly hitting, the tab. Of course different bullet profiles will affect the amount of clearance or non-clearance.

If this works out as well as I think it might I may just keep an eye out for another TCP for myself. I had been toting around a PT-740 Slim for an off duty pistol but the little TCP makes an excellent pocket pistol. I snagged this one for just $199 plus tax and got two free 20 rd boxes of Black Hills JHP ammo thrown in - LGS was having a sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One quick check you should make before you get too excited is to make sure the slide lock spring is in place. The end of the spring also serves as the keeper for the take-down pin. It is possible to dislodge the spring while attempting to re-assemble the pistol. If you do that the slide lock will engage whenever it takes a notion to do so. My 738 came from an owner that had done this and rather than send the gun back to Taurus, decided to sell it to me for a very small price. After I figured out what was wrong with it the little gun has run flawlessly. If that is the problem I highly recommend spending some time on YouTube and reading up on re-assembly before you pull the grip off to fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts