Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What kind of material should the frame of the 738 be made of?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have been to this site a few times before but this is my first post. I tried to do a search, but the engine didn't yield anything relevant, neither here nor on google!

Anyways I just have a simple question: I am going to buy the 738 any day now.. should I go with black steel or black polymer?

The few things I have found about polymer slides indicate that there might not be enough mass to have enough inertia to completely cycle the action, which makes since to me. But why would Taurus produce a polymer slide that doesn't work?

Any info on this would be great! What do yall think are the advantages or disadvantages of each? Which do you have? which do you prefer/reccomend. at an extra $60 for the steel I want the best input as to make a good choice!

I plan to carry this on me everyday btw. I live in Utah, so not too humid.

Thanks!
James

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
The frame or grip of all 738s is polymer as far as I know. The slide and the internal part of the frame (what the slide rides on) and most of the trigger group is steel. There are slide options of traditional blued steel, stainless and black stainless. This may be where your confusion lies.

The polymer grip is to reduce the overall weight of the gun. Guys correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

BTW a poll on your first post, good job. I've got over 2000 and still haven't figured that out.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Welcome to TA first off.

Now on to your post, the frame should be a steel skeleton with the polymer wrapped around it. As btleslie stated, the slides are all steel differing only in finish. There are a few 'carbon fibers' still floating around, but it's simply a simulated finish on top of a steel slide.

·
Registered
30,011 Posts
I think btleslie and Montkun hit the nail on the head!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Poly is the grip only! The real frame is aluminum (with the ser number) and the slide is steel. No reason to make the grip from anything else. Now the frame part could be steel to handle more rounds but at a greater weight.

I re-thought this and it's really a trick question, as there is no such thing as a Poly frame with any Taurus pistol! Even the P92 variants. :)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You know in all honesty I wouldn't mind seeing a 738 with a stainless or titanium frame. Welcome to the forum from Michigan.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Welcome from N Carolina!!! I like the black Stainless as compared to the "Blue" one. My daughter has a matte 738.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
First welcome to the forum!
I think that you really have either found some bad info or you have misinterpeted the info that you did find.
as others have pointed out there are no poly slides or frames, there is a poly covering (grip section) that has a metal inner frame to support all the workings.
this is the same kind of miscommunication that was given when Glock first hit the market.
all the differences are pretty much comsmetic differences in the 738.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I voted for the polymer frame.

The TCP is supposed to be a pocket pistol, and at 10.2 ounces I hardly knew it was in my pocket when I had mine.

We are glad to have you as a new member!

·
Registered
27 Posts
As others have said, the grip pieces are polymer not the slide or integral frame even. I don't know of any polymer slide pistols at all. Polymer pistols are fine for reliably cycling the gun and shouldn't be a concern, Glocks are truly polymer framed pistols and they do alright.

Steel:
+ Added weight means recoil reduction compared to the same model in polymer
+ Longevity, when properly maintained
+ Feel, balance and handling is always better on a steel gun IMO
- You need to maintain the finish or it will rust
- They're heavier than their polymer/alloy counterparts, if this is a ccw (especially if it's your first ccw) that weight could be a detractor

Polymer:
+ Lighter than steel for comfort when carrying
+ Durability (No bluing to maintain)
- Some manufacturers put polymer where it doesn't belong, which can cause some long term problems (Kahr CW9/40 frame rails have unnecessary polymer sub-rail things that get chewed up) be sure to look into any issues your gun could have down the road from rubbing parts.
- The balance of the gun is usually off when the firearm has a light, mostly polymer frame and a heavy steel slide. It may not be noticeable with a full mag, but is very easily felt as the rounds get tossed from the magazine.

The short answer:
If you're new(er) to ccw or new to guns all together the polymer frame is probably the best choice. It's easy to care for, it's lightweight which will not discourage you from carrying it like a heavy steel gun might and it's reasonably durable. The .380 acp isn't exactly known for being recoil heavy, so the recoil reduction of steel is a non-factor.

That said though, I will always pick a steel gun over it's polymer counterpart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts