Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based on the spotless performance of my 24/7 9mm, I touted the virtues of Taurus and talked my mom into buying the TCP. Got it home, cleaned and lubed, filled the mag, and... Couldn't get a single round to chamber. Not one. I tried FMJ and JHP, slingshotting, full mag to just two rounds in the mag. Nothing. Then I started reading and this sounds like a common problem with FTF and FTE?

She's in her late 60's and wants a small, light CCW that's easier to conceal (thinner, lighter) than her .38 revolver. She won't have the strongest grip, and I really want her to have something reliable. Should we look elsewhere do ya think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I frequently have to double-slingshot the first round into my TCP using FMJ and JHP as well. However, in about 100 rounds or so I have yet to have a FTF, FTE or any kind of failure. I have pretty big paws and can only get a two-fingered grip, yet I find the recoil manageable, but not without some discomfort. Mouseguns are built for close-in, quick fights and are not target pistols. At self-defense ranges of 7-10 feet I have no trouble putting all six rounds into the kill zone. Even though I have other reliable pistols, such as the Bersa Thunder .380 and the 9mm S&W Model 469, I find myself taking the TCP with me pretty frequently due to its easy-to-carry size. Firearms are very personal things and your mom would be best served carrying the one that she finds more suited to her particular physical capabilities and limitations. It will be interesting to learn if the TCP fills her bill.

·
32,569 Posts
First of all would a Taurus 732 be a better pick? I own one and have over 500 rounds through it without any problems.

The 732 came with a carry case for CCW. it takes some practice, but it works well once one gets used to it. My 732 so far is totally reliable.

Second, there are other possibilities.
Beretta makes the .32ACP Tomcat. I own one of those. The tip up barrel means never having to rack the slide for loading or unloading.Goes to the hand strength problem.

Taurus and Beretta make smaller,less powerful, pistols in the Taurus PT22/25 or the Beretta 21A. These come in either .22lrf or .25ACP. Taurus is a double action only trigger and the Beretta is a traditional double action for the first shot and goes to single action for any shot after that.

While the .25ACP is in theory more reliable becase it is a centerfire ammo versus rimfire ammo, it has been shown in the last few years, and even in my experience that the rimfire ammo I have used in my PT-22s had been reliable without any hiccups.

Two other recommendations are possible. Both are revolvers. Both are reliable and user friendly, but have more oomph than the .32 ACP. These would be the Taurus m380 in .380 ACP and a Taurus 327 or Taurus 731.

The Taurus m380 is 15 ounces and holds 5 rounds.

The Taurus 327 can shoot the .327 Federal magnum, the .32 H&R magnum, or the .32 S&W Long. Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc. is having a sale on those.

The Taurus 731 shoots the .32 H&R magnum and the .32 S&W Long. The .32 H&R magnum is a pussycat out of a snub revolver ,is mild on recoil, but in the .380ACP ballpark in power.

I own 2 Taurus 327s. I shoot mostly .32 H&R magnums out of them though some practice with the 327 Federal magnum is done.

With the sub-compact pistols it takes a lot of dedication and PROPER practice to become proficient with them. That goes for any brand,make,or model.

For example, the Taurus 732 is much different from my SIG 225 mid-size gun. Two completely different regimes, practice,trigger types,and training methods have to be used.

Proper grip and trigger follow through are two problem areas many forget about on these sub-compacts. For many people having the pinky finger under the grip has to be a must. For others,no.

I've had constructive criticism given to me by mentors who were watching close to how I was shooting. In the case of sub-compacts feedback is needed even if we've shot many types of guns down through the years. There are a lot of instructors as well who have little experience or teaching others how to use ALL the various types of compact and subcompact guns. Each subcompact gun is an entity unto itself.

What my gun likes as far as ammo brand and bullet type may not be what yours finds as the accuracy and reliable function load. It'll take some experimenting to find out what the accuracy and reliable function load will be.

Where are the thumbs put also contributes to things. Do you shoot with thumbs straight out, locked up, or down? Any of these might rub or block the gun's function. Especially the slide, mag release, or the slide release.

Let her go to a National Shooting Sports Foundation NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation or a NRA accredited local BASIC gun class. There are women only classes as well. Then she can judge as to what gun/caliber combo are right for her.

This is her choice so let her make it.
Cornered Cat
http://www.womenandguns.com

These are two good sites for the ladies for all their shooting info. There is another site in my signature that would also be a good one for her. Cornered.cat.com is an excellent site for women and guys.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Need a firm grip for the TCP so I'd pick something else for her. Sorry to hear to hear about the feed problems. My has been flawless.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you try loading the first round by using the slide release? Using that method, my TCP732 has been perfect; slingshotting, not so much. My wife enjoys shooting it even though the strength of her wrist did not recover 100% from surgery. After hundreds of rounds of European FMJ and JHP we have not experienced any ejection or feed problems in firing mode. The eBay pinky extensions on the mags help a lot with control.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I would ask what ammo did you try? Some ammo has a longer overall length and gives problems. I would also suggest something different if she wont have a very strong grip. If the 380 isn't too much recoil for her, you might check the m380 revolver that just came out. A smaller revolver with 6 shots of 380. It has a smaller frame and smaller cylinder than the 38.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I just went through this with an 80+ year old neighbor. I cleaned her pistols for her, a SS Charter Arms .38SPL with a beautifully smooth trigger and a never fired NIB Beretta 21. Well after I cleaned them up, she asked me to show her how to use the Beretta. She said she only bought in back in the 1980's because it looked so sexy. Well to make a long story short, she doesn't have enough finger strength to take the safety off or move the lever to tip up the barrel. So she asked me to sell it for her. And she continues to use the Charter Arms revolver which she can still operate.

My advice to someone elderly would be to go the revolver route with something like the M327 shooting nothing with more recoil than the .32 H&R Mag or the .38 Special. The .380 Auto, even in a revolver will have more recoil than a low recoil .38 Special SD round with 110-135 grain bullet. Face it their hand strength will not be getting any better and if need be they can cock a revolver with their off hand.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My advice to someone elderly would be to go the revolver route with something like the M327 shooting nothing with more recoil than the .32 H&R Mag or the .38 Special. The .380 Auto, even in a revolver will have more recoil than a low recoil .38 Special SD round with 110-135 grain bullet. Face it their hand strength will not be getting any better and if need be they can cock a revolver with their off hand.
Good tips!

My 87-year-old father cannot even rack the slide of an LCP or a TCP, so he carries a M85 .38 Special that I gave him about a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
27,441 Posts
With the physical issues you hint at I'd really try to talk her into sticking with the .38. (It is an 85, right?)
Semiautos just take more training and more practice than a revolver. It's not purely a matter of age, but I'm guessing that she is not a committed shooter. I doubt that she will practice enough to maintain competence with the pistol. If she really wants to reduce weight, there are the 85UL and 327 to look at.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
If you really love your mother convince her to stay with a fool proof reliable revolver.

Many of those complaining about these small semiautos are big strong men who claim to be experienced shooters.

If they're limp wristing, what chance does frail mom have?

Seriously...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We ended up taking the TCP back and getting her one of the Taurus ultra-lite and hammerless 38 specials. An hour of firing has her comfortable with it, although we will need to get some of the low recoil rounds mentioned previously. THANKS all for your thoughts/tips/advice in the meantime! Unfortunately, all of this has turned me off on the idea of the TCP for myself, so it was indeed a learning experience. Still love my 9, though... :)

·
32,569 Posts
9x19 is fine. :)

If you're looking for backup or super small carry gun the 732 works well for that. Granted, the .32 ACP is no powerhouse, but I can shoot the 732 better than the micro .380 pistols.

My 732 has been flawless so far. The sights though could use a bit of a hike up to make them larger. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I recommend that you try locking the slide back with the slide stop. Then release the slide by pressing the slide release.

All of my pistol are flawless.....including my TCP 380.....

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree. I have NEVER had a FTF releasing from the slide lock position. Sling shot is NOT the way to feed a 738. I can put 6 rounds in a pie pan at 25' with my 738 in less than four seconds. I will take that any day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got a C revision of the 738 TCP. Have the FTF issues been fixed when loading the first round in the newest revision or are people with the C revision still experiencing this? I just bought mine and haven't even puchased ammo for it yet so I can't try it. Next week I should be getting 500 rounds of .380 and heading to the range soon to break mine in.

Thanks,
Jared

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Carrying some cleaning equipment if you intend to put more than 50 rounds through it at one range visit. Also read through the numerous threads on small autos. You may even want to apply some of the 738 reliability enhancements, and/or fluff & buff before you head out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Carrying some cleaning equipment if you intend to put more than 50 rounds through it at one range visit. Also read through the numerous threads on small autos. You may even want to apply some of the 738 reliability enhancements, and/or fluff & buff before you head out.
I already found some threads and bookmarked them. I'll look into it when I get some time. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts