Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted a couple of months ago about having an issue with Fiocchi Blue box ammo not completely feeding into the chamber of my 738. A round got stuck and took a lot of work to get it out. Anyway, by way of update, I finally got it back to the range last weekend (too long between trips for me) and used a box of S&B .380- ammo with no problems - 50 rounds without a hiccup. Definitely an issue with the Fiocchi blue box stuff. I have some Fiocchi red box that I will try next trip...just wanted to be sure it was not the pistol.

D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ran 50 rounds of WWB FMJFP through mine and the first round required a stout snap of the slide or it wouldn't feed. S&B worked fine, then the first round of Ranger T didn't want to feed smoothly. Everything worked fine once I started firing, however.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I ran 50 rounds of WWB FMJFP through mine and the first round required a stout snap of the slide or it wouldn't feed... Everything worked fine once I started firing, however.
i had the same issue, a little adjustment of the feed lips on the mag should take care of it. i used a pliars to turn the very front edge of the feed lips up just a tiny bit, you can hardly see that it was done. now with the Win White box FMJFP i can pull the slide back and ease it down real slow and it will still feed, somtimes with just a slight hesitation, but works great now when you rack it in a normal manner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it happened with mine, it would not fire right from the first round - round was halfway chambered and the extractor could not get it out nor could I get it to go into battery. Had to pry the extractor out and away from the casing, then was able to disassemble and had a barrel with a round stuck halfway in it. Ended up having to push the round out from the muzzle end.

Took a few of the Fiocchi rounds and tried to put them into the chamber and could see they would not fit (this was the first I had used the red box .380...always used the red box before). Re-assembled, ran snap caps which worked fine. Took it to the range last week and it ran S&B fine. My wifes KT P3AT eats up the Fiocchi just fine. But I won't try it again.

I'm just glad the pistol ran like clockwork with the S&B...I have not been willing to carry it as a back-up to my G26 since that failure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had the same issue, a little adjustment of the feed lips on the mag should take care of it. i used a pliars to turn the very front edge of the feed lips up just a tiny bit, you can hardly see that it was done. now with the Win White box FMJFP i can pull the slide back and ease it down real slow and it will still feed, somtimes with just a slight hesitation, but works great now when you rack it in a normal manner.
Thanks for the info, I may try that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man this totally helped out my feeding problem! I was getting so frustrated and didnt want to send it off. Thanks for the great info.!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the story. It reinforces the need to actually try ammo before you settle on it. When it comes to autos -- especially the little ones, your pistol will shoot one particular load well, while the same load in another sample the same type of pistol won't .......

·
Registered
867 Posts
When it happened with mine, it would not fire right from the first round - round was halfway chambered and the extractor could not get it out nor could I get it to go into battery. Had to pry the extractor out and away from the casing, then was able to disassemble and had a barrel with a round stuck halfway in it. Ended up having to push the round out from the muzzle end.

Took a few of the Fiocchi rounds and tried to put them into the chamber and could see they would not fit (this was the first I had used the red box .380...always used the red box before). Re-assembled, ran snap caps which worked fine. Took it to the range last week and it ran S&B fine. My wifes KT P3AT eats up the Fiocchi just fine. But I won't try it again.

I'm just glad the pistol ran like clockwork with the S&B...I have not been willing to carry it as a back-up to my G26 since that failure.

Basically the same thing happened with mine when I tried to use Remington UMC 88gr. JHP. It would fire the first round okay, but it would not eject -- jammed with empty case still in the chamber (although not fully in battery). Had a heck of a time getting the slide back. I thought it was a fluke, so I chambered another, and the same thing happened. After doing a search for others with similar issues, I found another reference to problems in the 738 with the same ammo. One person mentioned that if you broke the gun down and just dropped a round into the barrel separately from the rest of the gun, you could see that the case rim was not fully flush with the end of the barrel. I checked, and sure enough. I took it to a LGS and the owner showed me that there was interference due to the profile of the projectile. Something was weird about the shape. He covered the bullet with black sharpie and inserted it into the barrel (separate from the gun) by hand, and you could see where the bullet was making premature contact at the bottom of the chamber and had scraped off some of the ink. I tried one other brand of JHP in the same manner (minus the sharpie... this time before I bought a box), and it had the same fitment issue. I've had a bit of trouble finding a carry round that will function reliably in this weapon. It eats FMJ basically without issue (including Remington UMC 90gr. FMJ), just has an issue with some JHPs. I sent the gun back to Taurus and it now will shoot Speer Gold Dots okay (it wouldn't before sending it in for repair), so at least I have one round that I can carry. Oddly enough, it won't function with Hornady Critical Defense either (FTE on second to last round in mag, regardless of how many I loaded to start with). And from the sounds of it, that stuff will function in just about anything. I don't know what the deal is... a bit of a head-scratcher.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had two or three FTF out of a box of fifty Fiocchi .45lc. last weekend, not due to a light strike. The only FTF's I've had shooting my Judge. I got it cheap at a gun show.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you decide that you preferr the red box,contact ammoman.com. The don't have it listed but the last time I checked they had some in stock( 9mm fmj 124gr.). It's hotter than the blue box that is made in the USA.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Any word on Fiocchi and 709s? Look for my 709 / Kahr CW9 shootout post within the hour. FTFs on 124 JHP Fiocchi in the 709 - firing pin needed cleaning but...

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
There are manufacturing tolerances built into everything, Guns and ammunition are no different!
if you get a gun with tolerances on one side of spec and a ammo on the other side of spec then there can be problems.
doesn't mena the gun or the ammo is not right, only that its not perfect!
it may be in only that one particular box of ammo or all of that brand/ projectile style.
as has been mentioned thats why one should always check for function anytime something changes, especailly in carry ammo.
It doesn't mean a thing what officer Bob the friendly neighborhood policeman that lives down the street uses in his duty gun!

·
32,481 Posts
The one thing that is true,and you folks just backed that up, is that mini-pistols, true for all guns, can be and are finicky about what will work for them and what will not.

Lots of experimentation with various brands,bullet types, different ammo batches, and various bullet weights need to be tried to see which are the 100% reliability and accuracy champs for your particular gun.

In some cases there is a brand that works well in a majority of pistols. It happens, but is not a sure thing with most brands of ammo.

Too many factors to go into all that.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I know a lot of the Taurus bashers would use the 738 TCP as a "prime example of the low quality of Taurus guns." That bothers me a lot because I have read on other owners' forums where many owners complain about their pocket .380s not being reliable. When I first started having some problems with my TCP, I started to second guess my purchase. Then I started doing some reading on the internet regarding .380s with a similar price tag, and all of them seemed to have some unhappy owners experiencing the same problems people talk about here. I could be wrong, but I would venture to guess that even when you look at pocket .380s in a much higher price category, they probably have many of the same problems (probably to a lesser extent due to slightly tighter tolerances/hand fitting/etc., but still present nonetheless). When you stop and think about the physics of what's going on during and after each shot in guns of this size, it is no wonder that they don't always run perfectly. I honestly think it's the nature of the beast. A .380 is a pretty potent round for that small of a package. When you start trying to harness those types of forces over such a small distance of travel, minor variations lead to occasional problems -- and that's not even considering all of the shooter-induced variables that come into play when trying to shoot such a compact pistol with any degree of repeatability. That being said, I am still confident that I will be able to find a round (or more) that functions reliably enough in my particular gun that, if push comes to shove, I could trust it to save me. I'm no gun expert by any means, so take my opinion for what it's worth. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts