Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6963992756_ed446815d5_c.jpg 7110066229_722bdc5251_c.jpg 7110068005_1453c7a72c_c.jpg target #1

I warmed up the 709 with a few mags from a rest to make sure that it was in good working order and to sight in. The sights were spot on - an improvement from what I was expecting. Taurus is apparently responding to the complaints and returns of guns with sight concerns. All rounds were from 7yds - typical for HD and a good place to start with a new small frame gun. Target #1 is pictured above (all 8" side by side conveniently supplied by the range) Jay Henges Shooting Range Information | Missouri Department of Conservation A MO dept. of Conservation facility - at $3 per hour it's my favorite test-and-tune shooting range. This target is all 709, left is White Winchester 115 ball - right is Magtech 115 ball shot off hand. Notice the tendency for low and right. I tightened my grip (my pinky is under the mag) in future shots and that helps - see the results ahead.

7110070895_4143a73ab0_c.jpg 7110069423_c0c9cbdfcd_c.jpg
target #2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . target#3

Target #2 is head to head White Box Winchester 115 ball. Note the Kahr on the left is a bit high but the groups are slightly tighter and the 709 is accurate enough for sure AND the low shots are gone.

Target #3 is all Fiocchi 124 JHP - one of my preferred SD loads. Note that during this group I had 2 FTF on the 709 even with the double strike - NEVER happened with that round before. Both groups are decent SD small pistol groups - YES I'm shooting more with the 709 (on the right) - it was a 'break in' day after all.

All-in-all it was a good day at the range. The FTFs concerned me. On cleaning at home I noticed the firing pin was stiff and gritty. Initially I'd been lazy and put enough solvent through the firing pin housing to (so I thought) dissolve the factory gunk - WRONG!! I disassembled the system, cleaned it well and it needed it. The firing pin now returns under its own spring tension. It still feels a bit sluggish to me but the gun is new to me.

I'll be at the range with the 709 again tomorrow and will post up. I'll be taking a larger variety of 9mm ammo and will report. All in all I'm really pleased with how well the 709 shot beside a gun that I know well, has a longer barrell and a reputation as a good shooting small frame pistol!! The 709 is definitely looking like a keeper and if I cured the FTF situation I will most likely have my new summer pocket pistol. It's great in cargo pants, pretty good in jeans and will work well in coat / jacket pockets as well!! :)

Reactions: vonzipper and sid1

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mingaa,
Great report, well done. How does the Slim feel in the hand and shooting (recoil) VRS the Kahr?? I'm sure the Slim will grow on you.

Keep us posted on the next range results.
Thanks

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Nice report. I don't have any experience with the Kahr but I do have 1000 rounds to so through my 709 and I think it's a great carry pistol. I have had 1 fail to fire, PMC with a good strike, and that is the only problem I have had with it. I have shot several brands of FMJ and JHP with no problems. I added a Hogue grip and Pearce mag extension.
Pearce Grips
I look forward to further reports on your 709.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The 709 was not on my shopping list until I started handling guns. It fits very naturally - I have strong hands and less a finger does not bother me - the pinky rests under the mag and acts as counter support - to keep it a pocket pistol (as needed) I will not be adding extensions. I'm a big Glock fan (G22 is my go-to HD gun in the bedroom safe) and the features borrowed for the Taurus are great in my book. The second strike is a very cool feature and the manual safety (something I am not a fan of) will allow me to pocket the gun sans holster if needed.

My mag shipment arrived and I'm off tomorrow so I'll run through my 9mm inventory and take as many variations as I can - more following that. fingers crossed that the stiff firing pin (my bad!) will solve the FTFs.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice report. I don't have any experience with the Kahr but I do have 1000 rounds to so through my 709 and I think it's a great carry pistol. I have had 1 fail to fire, PMC with a good strike, and that is the only problem I have had with it. I have shot several brands of FMJ and JHP with no problems. I added a Hogue grip and Pearce mag extension.
Pearce Grips
I look forward to further reports on your 709.
The Kahr is a great small frame pistol. The way it's configured make it just right for IWB but not a pocket gun. The mag protrudes and they also make a 8 round magazine - I own a few. The 709 has about a half inch shorter barrel - the guns both weigh just over 22 oz. with a mag. Kahr IWB and 709 BUG will work for me! No more FTFs and I'll be happy with that setup for the summer!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
That reminds me, I forgot to mention the trigger on mine. It did feel somewhat stiff at the beginning but now I think it's a good trigger. I have to say my gun experience is limited, certainly not up to many of our members, but the trigger on my 709 is good.

As for holsters I have a Crossbreed mini-tuck that works well with the Pearce extension and tomorrow my Remora should arrive. It will be interesting to see how the 709 and Remora work together with or without the extension. Have fun tomorrow mingaa!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not trigger - FIRING PIN gunked up. My mental burp!!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW I'm a big guy with strong hands. 9 mm recoil has not been a problem for me even with the smallest and lightest pistols. +P will get my attention but I don't shoot much of that.

I'll post comparison photos of the two guns now - it's amazing how close the are in size and weight but small differences make the 709 work as a pocket gun while the Kahr will not. There are smaller Kahrs but the CW9 works great IWB.

I'll be back at the range today to see if the FTF (maybe it's the Fiocchi) is solved. I did clean up the firing pin and chamber a LOT. Should have done more on the initial cleaning.

I'll take my Sig 250C (in 9mm) today to keep it interesting. I'll also run through 9mm inventory for some more variety! I'll try and post that late today.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A better look at the two:
Kahr CW9 3.6" barrel, 22.1 oz with empty mag - DAO
Taurus 709 3.2" barrel, 22.2 oz with empty mag

7112929771_67fd3f15d3_c.jpg 6966805480_fd885791b5_c.jpg 7112883781_c4c5ff79a5_c.jpg 6966806338_11154c1eaf_c.jpg

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got out today with a good bit of 9mm from stock and took the Sig 250c along. Pics and some interesting results will be up tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I love the Kahr trigger system......butter smooth DA pull every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts