Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after seeing khoff2's postings (http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700-s/70328-anyone-try-these-sights-their-709-740-slim-2.html) about mounting a truglod fiber optic shotgun sight on his 709, I just had to try it. I broke my original front sight screw when trying to file it down to work with the Truglo so I ordered 3 replacements (just in case) from Taurus and had a week to think about how go about my second attempt. Simply being more careful about how I put the screw in my vise seemed to be enough because in just a couple minutes i had shorten the screw - almost too much. I used a dab of thread locker and got it to thread through the slide and into the Truglo sight. Here are some pics:

Green Vehicle door Technology Electronic device Green Technology Automotive exterior Bumper Electronic device Technology Subwoofer Multimedia

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, despite the setback of breaking the head off my original screw. With this sight and the Hogue slip-on grip I think this is a much improved pistol. And I was pretty fond of it to begin with.

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looks good! I was able to hold the original screw in a small set of slip joint pliers and used a bench grinder to shorten the screw. It was entirely too effective, my replacement screws arrived on Friday....:rolleyes:

While I was waiting for the parts, they sent the wrong screws the first time, I went with the GL-112 front sight mod, but at almost 1/5th the cost, the TruGlo is a nice option.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
As the sight is larger in diameter than the original one has to adjust the POA and / or sight picture accordingly.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truglo is also shorter, which I think will bring my POI up. I tend to shoot low and left with the 709, like a lot of shooters say they do. In all, I'm thinking this is going to work out well.

I did get to fire through a couple of mags this afternoon. The sight screw worked its way loose so I'm going to try another screw and leave it a bit longer. The trick will be leaving enough to tighten it up good and tight while keeping it short enough to not reach the fiber optic tube.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a sight on order and it should be here by the end of the week. I'm wondering if the OP has any further comments on his sight.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, rwingjr. I haven't been on in a while... MY first try at filing down the screw resulted in a cracked screw. Second attempt seemed to work but I think I left it a little short because it didn't want to hold and came loose during my first or second test mag. The third try I left it longer and was generous with the lock tite. I finally got a test fire in last week and I'm happy to say that after 50 rounds i cannot detect a bit of loosening. And I'm pretty happy with how easily I'm outting the front site on target. I need to test in lower light conditions, for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts