Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not shot my 709 yet (purchased about a month ago), but the SA pull seems really hard. I measured as best I could and the SA pull is around 2 1/2 lbs heavier than the DA pull (8 1/2 or 9 SA to 6 DA). Any thoughts? Will it even out?

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If the trigger is not all the way back and touching the frame when the sear releases it should smooth out with use. Clean the gun thoroughly and lightly lubricate it, especially the area around the sear. Get a snap cap and dry fire (SA) a couple hundred times. Always load ammo (including snap caps) from the magazine. Never put a round in the chamber and let the slide slam closed, at least if you value your extractor. You can, however, pull the trigger (SA) and then recock the striker by moving the slide aft only about a half inch; just enough to cock the striker but not enough to eject the snap cap. That will speed up thisbreak-in cycle. Some folks think a snap cap isn't necessary in this model (including me) but using a snap cap will reduce the stress on the striker assembly.

Supplemental: If the trigger is actually touching the frame when the sear releases you may be running out of "trigger travel". Some cases of this were reported with older 709s. The fix was a replacement or adjusted trigger bar. I suspect the little finger (which actually trips the sear) at the back of the trigger bar was too short on some guns. It was reported that Taurus CS claims there is no "new" trigger bar version so this is probably either a tolerance-stack issue or excessive "adjustment" (removing metal) during assembly/fitting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Read the "709 inaccurate" thread in the Taurus Product Problems forum. There are several other discussions in this and other forums about heavy SA triggers on some 709s. Apparently, Taurus considers anything under 10 lbs. or so "within spec."
Mine is pretty heavy in SA, but breaks clean. A fairly heavy trigger is not all bad in a carry pistol - a safety feature - & at least with mine, I can shoot it with reasonably good accuracy. Try yours out at the range, & see how it goes when you get used to it.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Good info here. The 709 trigger spec. has changed at Taurus and I can tell you they do smooth out when you start breaking it in by shooting it. I thought mine was heavy at first too, but then after shooting it, I love it now. Feels just right to me. I do not think the pull has changed, but just smoothed out and the fact that I am used to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the trigger is not all the way back and touching the frame when the sear releases it should smooth out with use. Clean the gun thoroughly and lightly lubricate it, especially the area around the sear. Get a snap cap and dry fire (SA) a couple hundred times. Always load ammo (including snap caps) from the magazine. Never put a round in the chamber and let the slide slam closed, at least if you value your extractor. You can, however, pull the trigger (SA) and then recock the striker by moving the slide aft only about a half inch; just enough to cock the striker but not enough to eject the snap cap. That will speed up thisbreak-in cycle. Some folks think a snap cap isn't necessary in this model (including me) but using a snap cap will reduce the stress on the striker assembly.

Supplemental: If the trigger is actually touching the frame when the sear releases you may be running out of "trigger travel". Some cases of this were reported with older 709s. The fix was a replacement or adjusted trigger bar. I suspect the little finger (which actually trips the sear) at the back of the trigger bar was too short on some guns. It was reported that Taurus CS claims there is no "new" trigger bar version so this is probably either a tolerance-stack issue or excessive "adjustment" (removing metal) during assembly/fitting.

Good advice! After doing this (re-cocking the striker without ejecting the snap cap)SEVERAL hundred times, I now have about a 4 pound SA trigger pull. I also have a different problem/question now. Sometimes when I put the safety on/off, the pistol goes back into DA mode. I'm hoping that the firing pin is not hitting the primer on the snap cap! I'll find out as soon as I'm able to get to the range. I'm hoping that it's something with the snap caps making it do that. I've dry fire a few times without the snap caps & have not had that happen.If that's not an issue, the trigger feels really sweet now.

·
Registered
313 Posts
... I also have a different problem/question now. Sometimes when I put the safety on/off, the pistol goes back into DA mode. I'm hoping that the firing pin is not hitting the primer on the snap cap! ... I've dry fire a few times without the snap caps & have not had that happen....
First, the firing pin block will prevent the firing pin from hitting the primer unless the trigger is near full aft (assuming the block is working correctly). Second, you may have a fitting issue with the safety. In the "safe" position, the safety has a "finger" that blocks aft movement of the trigger bar, a finger that blocks slide movement, and a finger that blocks downward (tripping) movement of the sear. These fingers rotate into their blocking positions as you raise the safety lever. The finger that blocks the sear needs to slide under the sear, very close to it but not touching it. If this finger does hit the sear when you put on the safety it could (IMO) trip the sear by pushing it aft just like the trigger bar does. Maybe that finger on the safety needs adjustment but I think it's more likely that the sear is not resetting to the full up position. On my 709, a weak sear spring resulted in the sear resetting inconsistently; sometimes a hair trigger and sometimes a very hard trigger. I cured my problem by adjusting (bending) the sear spring to increase the spring force. Beware that this DYI work has pitfalls. More here: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...9-erratic-trigger-how-ship-2.html#post1096085

Hopefully, your problem will go away when your slide routinely makes full travel with live ammo. But if the safety does trip the sear the firing pin block should prevent firing as long as the trigger is forward.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think the main prob with these guns is just getting use to the trigger since it diff then a lot of guns. All I can say is practice practice if you can find ammo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts