Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,063 Posts
The trigger feel improved on my PT 111 G2 with the striker guide and I recommend the upgrade. The completed job on the trigger was using a heat gun on the side of the frame with the trigger safety blade secured retracted with a wire twister tie. Heat it both sides, release the safety blade...try it in dry fire. If there's still a bump or hitch...do it again.

·
Super Moderator
36,063 Posts
^^ Whew, what a great write up and display. I suspect that you do this for a living...:) (and if you don't...you should)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well done article! This should be a sticky for our site.

·
Registered
164 Posts
^^ Whew, what a great write up and display. I suspect that you do this for a living...:) (and if you don't...you should)
LOL!!! My wife used to tell me I wrote like I spoke. I would tell her that English IS my foreign language!!! I hated English in school, still don't understand it and no, I don't do it for a living (I'd starve if I did).

My other "hobby" is O-scale model trains and I've managed to write 5 articles on those. Big thing is my camera skills have gotten better over time, plus a good camera makes a world of difference. I don't have an expensive camera, but it takes good photos. It's a Nikon Coolpix B500.

The videos I've seen on changing out the sleeve were fine, but I was having to stop/backup so often I figured a few photos and a write up would suit me better.

Glad you guys found it useful!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's not mentioned any of the replies to this thread BUT replacing the plastic OEM striker guide with the Lakeline SS striker guide does permanently disable the locking function of the TSS (Taurus Security System). This may not be an issue for many (including myself as I rarely employ the TSS) but I'm certain that it voids the Taurus warranty and may incur liability issues for the owner of the firearm. In the case of the warranty, it would be easy enough to merely swap out the SS guide for the OEM guide if the firearm ever needed to be returned for warranty work. That may not be possible in a liability situation.
Has anyone used a "dry" lubricant to remedy the grittiness experienced with the OEM striker guide? Perhaps, as already mentioned, the mere presence of the "hole" in the plastic guide is the primary issue and lubrication will do little to remedy the problem? I have a PT740 and admit that I don't fire it enough to have actually noticed or perceived the grittiness to be an issue. On "general principles" the next time I break it down for cleaning, I'm going to have a closer look at the OEM striker guide and at the very least, spray a little "dry lube" into and around the striker channel.
Flex

·
Super Moderator
36,063 Posts
It's not mentioned any of the replies to this thread BUT replacing the plastic OEM striker guide with the Lakeline SS striker guide does permanently disable the locking function of the TSS (Taurus Security System). This may not be an issue for many (including myself as I rarely employ the TSS) but I'm certain that it voids the Taurus warranty and may incur liability issues for the owner of the firearm. In the case of the warranty, it would be easy enough to merely swap out the SS guide for the OEM guide if the firearm ever needed to be returned for warranty work. That may not be possible in a liability situation.
Has anyone used a "dry" lubricant to remedy the grittiness experienced with the OEM striker guide? Perhaps, as already mentioned, the mere presence of the "hole" in the plastic guide is the primary issue and lubrication will do little to remedy the problem? I have a PT740 and admit that I don't fire it enough to have actually noticed or perceived the grittiness to be an issue. On "general principles" the next time I break it down for cleaning, I'm going to have a closer look at the OEM striker guide and at the very least, spray a little "dry lube" into and around the striker channel.
Flex
I seem to recall a thread where someone smoothed out the OEM plastic striker guide to good effect. Regarding liability, a defense would be that all other brands of handguns do not feature the TSS and that converting the Taurus to be without it is a moot point. That said, a lawyer can and will seize upon and amplify any possible fact in their attempt to sway a jury's opinion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Lakelinellc Stainless Steel Striker Guide turned my factory G2C smooth as glass. I'm waiting on them to release the G3 Stainless Steel recoil assembly before I it. I was curious to see how dirty my striker assembly was on my G3 after about 300 rounds and was surprised by how dirty it was. It took me 10 minutes to remove it and give it a nice cleaning. What a difference. I used Hoppe's Elite along with a few cotton swabs in the slide and a nylon brush for the firing pin.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Flex
It is one thing if a kid gets a hold of the gun and shoots himself or someone else because the gun was unsecured and loaded and you had disabled the TSS. But if you have disabled this and you use the gun in a legal self defense situation and the shooting is justified, then I don't see how that could be used against you. First of all, someone will have to probably tell a lawyer that it has been modified, since it is not obvious if you are not familiar with the gun or the trigger. And second, you used the gun as it is intended. It is one thing if your gun was some flashy color or had a Punisher tail cap or something, where a lawyer could paint you as being a irresponsible doofus or some type of vigilante, but disabling the TSS and smoothing out the trigger would not indicate that to most people. I don't know, just my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts