Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very interested in purchasing the 709 slim, but can't learn all I want to from the Taurus home site. Can it be carried safely with one in the chamber. Does it have a decocker or only a safety. Also, will it shoot double action on first round, then single action or remaining rounds? Would appreciate comments from anyone who owns this gun, especially as primary for concealed carry.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Carried Condition 1 - loaded chamber - yes - I carry with safety on.
No decocker - safety and dual trigger safety (dropping should not fire pistol).
SA/DA - First S/A - if misfire DA follows for second strike - if no joy must jack slide to eject and back to SA.

I have both 709 and 740 Slims and they both make for fine CCW.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I own the 740, which is the same pistol (except for caliber). It does not have a decocker. When you rack the slide the gun is cocked. What it does have is both a manual safety and a trigger safety. I carry one in the chamber and safety on. I'm not concerned carrying this way. Make sure you have a good holster that covers the trigger and you should be okay. Then drill drawing and thumbing off the safety. Practice makes perfect.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: mawguy

·
Registered
313 Posts
(1) Can it be carried safely with one in the chamber.
(2) Does it have a decocker or only a safety.
(3) Also, will it shoot double action on first round, then single action or remaining rounds? ...
1. That's a subjective question. IMO, it is foolish to carry it without a round in the chamber. The 709 has a firing pin block that will not allow the firing pin to strike the primer unless the trigger is near the full aft position. The Glock-style trigger safety prevents trigger movement unless the "blade" is pressed in first, and the manual safety blocks aft trigger movement and sear movement in the "safe" position. Personally, I think that's pretty safe, especially if you use the manual safety.

2. What Wino said.

3. Normally, the 709 is always in single action. The only way to get into double action is restrike mode following a misfire.

The 709 may be packaged with one (less $$) or two magazines, spare magazines seem hard to find so you may want to get the 2-mag packege.

The 709 trigger functions with the trigger very far aft, almost touching the frame. Some folks find this hard to get used to and most folks shoot low and left until they train themselves to the trigger. On the plus side, trigger reset is very nice.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The 709 is a great CCW choice. I agree with what the other comments about carrying ready. Practice with dummy rounds to become comfortable carrying that way. Draw it while taking off the safety so you can be used to it. The comments above are some of the reasons why I got one (trigger, safety and load indicator).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Checkin out the 709 slim........

I strongly recomend dry firing with a snap cap BEFORE purchasing this pistol Academy doesnt allow dry fire of any firearm when I purchased my 709 when I finally did fire I was very suprised of the amount of triger travel. This thing has to be pulled way back to fire the first round then not so much on the following shots. I know many if not all pistols like this kind do this however imo the 709 takes the cake. That being said after extensive practice with snap caps of course and range trips. Ive learned to like this very well made fine pistol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you can pay a little more for the one with 2 magazines included, you'll be saving yourself one heck of a headache. There are apparently no magazines to be found! I've been waiting for three months.

Reactions: Fingerman

·
Registered
813 Posts
I load one in the magazine and rack the slide. I put the safety on, then load the magazine with 7 rounds. I return the magazine and now have one in the pipe with the safety on, and 7 in the magazine for a total of 8 rounds. Holster, check cover garment, good to go. It is an excellent concealed carry weapon that once familiar with, is accurate, controllable, concealable and light enough to carry all day. I carried a Ruger SR9c [which I still love] for a bit over two years and the 709 replaced it as my every day carry weapon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Always loaded. I can't imagine having to remember to rack the slide in an emergency situation. Just draw and fire. I don't even use the safety. My safety is not putting my finger on the trigger until I'm on target.

·
Registered
30 Posts
709 is my EDC carry. I carry with one in the chamber (see codegeeks' comment) and thumb safety off (personal preference).

600+ rounds down the pipe and zero issues.

Buy it with the 2 mags and case (see Julz comment).

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
The 709 is a great choice for CCW.

·
Registered
313 Posts
One in the chamber? If George Zimmerman did not carry with one in the chamber he'd probably be dead.

Manual safety (use it or not) is a personal decision. But if you carry with the manual safety on you need to practice "safety off" every time you draw the weapon or load a fresh mag at the range. It needs to be an automatic reflex.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts