Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a new 709 slim bought NIB and I took it straight to my CCW class to give it the first rounds. I did have a failure to feed on the last round of the first magazine full so that was a bit disappointing. Using Independence 115 gr FMJ. Also, when trying to push the slide to lock the slide back with an overhand grip, it doesn't want to go. Seems that the barrel catches on the slide a bit and after shooting, I noticed some marks on the top of the barrel where the slide goes over it. Is this just a break in issue? Does the slide need some polishing where it slides over the barrel?

Fortunately, no FTE or FTF problems.

Don't know if I'm using the right terminology for the parts.

Thanks all

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
There's a break-in period with new pistols, and IIRC Taurus recommends 2-300 rounds. I'm thinkin' 4-500 is closer to the mark. When firearms are new they're very tight, and with a little use they loosen up, and a lot of problems fix themselves. My advice is shoot the heck out of it until you've got 4-500 rounds through it. New magazines often have a spring that's a bit too stiff, and feed lips that are a bit tight. Keep your mags fully loaded (it will help the springs to take a set) and unload and reload them several times a day (that will help to weaken the springs a bit) for several weeks. You can also help to loosen things up by racking the slide 4-500 times. Don't let it slam forward - just work it back and forth. This will loosen up the slide to frame fit a bit, as well as helping the recoil spring assembly to break in. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I knew I was probably being hasty in my concerns. I had read several reviews of the gun that were positive and my own experience with a Taurus revolver but when I read some of the negative reviews on forums (after I bought it) I got really concerned that this gun might let me down when it counted but I need to rein that in and as you say, shoot the heck out of it. It is a very fun gun to shoot, even if I'm not too accurate with it yet. My revolver has a 6 inch barrel, so I know I was unrealistic when I thought I would be as accurate with this the first time out. Oh well I did much better than the bare minimum proficiency for passing the CCW test so I should be happy.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
What dbeardslee said + If you didn't field strip, clean off the shipping lard (preservative) and re-oil before going to CC class, I'm surprised you didn't have more problems than the fail to load last. Marks on the flat top of barrel in front of the loaded chamber indicator are normal (On both my 709 & 740) - may be more than normal if it did not have a film of lube on it. If you have not field stripped it as yet, be sure mag is out and stays out until after reassembly. Jack slide several times to be sure empty, pull the slide release lock down evenly on both sides (with slide pulled back a bit to take pressure off release) let slide return to battery, pull trigger (not mentioned in manual) and slide should come right off. Remove spring and barrel to clean all. Reassemble is reverse with no need to pull trigger - all will lock back into place as it should. Besure spring is in correct postion (rounded button at muzzle end) and that you are on second step of barrel - when looking at spring barrel assembled in slide from side it should be a straight even line of spring - if it slopes up it's not in proper postion - if sloped down, it will probably self-center when you reassemble.

P.S. - You have purchased a fine CCW pistol. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I had stripped it (had to look on youtube to see how since as everyone here knows, the manual doesn't tell how to properly) and didn't really find any gunk but used a bit of rem oil to clean and lube before I took it. Thanks for the replies and the welcome's

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
In that case, dbeardslee post #2 should resolve your problems, and practice, practice, practice. Keep us informed of your progtress and always remember

:nopics:

LOL

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
After rereading the OP I have another question. Are you still unable to lock your slide to the rear? Try this - clear the weapon and grasp it with your right hand and put your right thumb under the slide release. Take a grip with your left hand such that you're holding the pistol close to your body and in front of you. Apply upward pressure on the slide release while simultaneously racking the slide all the way to the rear. Keep the upward pressure on the slide release while you slowly release the pressure on the slide - it should stay locked to the rear. If it does you know the catch is working.

If it doesn't you need to determine why, and there's basically three reasons. Either the part of the slide release that mates with the notch in the slide is broken off, it's being prevented from rising up high enough to engage the notch, or the slide's not moving back far enough. Here's some things you might try to narrow it down.

First take the slide off the pistol, and carefully examine the slide catch. Can you push it up with the slide off? The back of the lever should rise up a few millimeters such that the back of the lever will fit into the slide recess. If it won't go up, you need to determine why. Check this first because if it won't rise up it may hold the follower down, and that could result in the last round potentially not feeding.

If you can't lift the lever this is something that's NOT going to fix itself, and you'll need to check the lever and the spring that holds it down. I had trouble with that spring in my PT145, and it's the most likely thing to jam things up with the lever if it broke or is improperly installed.

Before I wind up writing a novel, how 'bout checking the above stuff and reporting back? :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your pistol and you passing grade!

I don't see a gun though???

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol. Follow the advise dbeardslee and Wino are offering. It is spot on. Now that you have shot it, you need to do a field stripp and cleaning. I like to use Gun Scrubber and Breakfree brake cleaner. After cleaning, lube/oil it up. My 709 like grease on the rails and oil on the internals. Mine does show a little wear on the top of the barrel too. No big deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts