Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on buying a new CCW handgun. Undecided if I should buy the Slim or LC9. Any imput would be greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Have you looked at the Kahr CM9? I came within a hair of the ruger LC9, but the trigger was a turn off and the magazine disconnect would have to go. You get one more round, but you can get 8 round mags for the Kahr. I'm glad I went with the Kahr, and the price has come down a bit - $399 at Bud's. Here's the skinny with lots of pics, if you're interested - Kahr CM9 Range Report

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Plan on buying a new CCW handgun. Undecided if I should buy the Slim or LC9. Any imput would be greatly appreciate.
I have both a PT709 Slim in Stainless and an LC9. Depending on how I am dressed, I always carry one or the other in an IWB holster, either a tuckable or just IWB if dressing casual. I have a Remora holster that works very well as both an IWB holster and a pocket holster for both pistols.

I have put hundreds of rounds through each and for MY PISTOLS (your mileage may vary) I can tell you distinct differences.

PT709 - Better trigger than LC9, short and light ; is somewhat finicky about ammo (does not like Winchester White Box 115gr ball ammo, and some of the cheap foreign ammo). I have the stainless 709 which is an advantage here on the Gulf coast with salt air and perspiration. It came with 2 magazines. The blued 709 is often available for less than the LC9, but the stainless is often more than the LC9. Some big box stores had them on clearance for well under $300, but I have not seen any on clearance lately.

LC9 - was utterly reliable, and ate any ammo offered flawlessly; trigger pull is long and heavy, and takes some practice to get used to. Since it is not (officially) available (yet) in stainless, it is subject to some light surface rust; I resolved the light rust problem with EEZOX, the top rated anti-rust for firearms. It only came with 1 magazine. Readily available for $329 - $359 in the big box stores.

They both have a 7+1 magazine, and aftermarket magazines for the LC9 are easier to find and often less expensive than the 709 mags. NOTE: There was a recent minor design change in the 709 and some of the older 709 mags do not fit or function well in the newer 709 models. In the recent past, Taurus in Miami exchanged the mags if they did not fit.

If you want the same size package, but more power, look at the PT740 in .40 S&W.

MOST (but not all) holsters fit both equally well, with the same holster fitting both pistols. The custom molded and fitted Kydex holster do not fit both pistols interchangeably.

I am very comfortable carry either my 709 stainless or my LC9, and practice a lot with both!

Enjoy!
.. and GOOD SHOOTING!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I have both. I’ve hadthe 709 for 2 years, fired 350 rds, no hiccups. I used it for CCW with Remington Golden Saber 124 +P. Accuracy is good.
A buddy of mine bought a LC9 a few months ago and bragged aboutit. So when I saw a used LC9 at the gunrange after Xmas, I bought it. I love it just asmuch. Accurate and reliable. So now I have 2 good CCW guns at the samerelative size. The differences are minor. The LC9 is slightly smaller, and lighter.
You may want to consider the different trigger actions, DAOvs. SA/DA, or a trigger safety vs a thumb safety. But both of mine are reliable andaccurate. That is what I look for in a CCW.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
773 Posts
I prefer the feel of the 709 in my hand over the lc9 trigger pull is much better as well. My 709 had some extracting problems but a week long trip to Miami seems to have fixed that.

When it comes down to it. I feel I could trust my life with either

·
Registered
432 Posts
My Vote is for the Ruger LC9, because 1) I am a Ruger guy. 2) I have seen a lot of complaints about the 709 so many that I just don't wanna take a chance. 3) its a tad heavier and from test firing both I gotta say that the LC9 was more accurate. (for me anyway) also with that extra weight in the frame you don't feel recoil. 4) From looking at the inside of the LC9 it looks more solid and seems more sturdy(I am not a gun expert at all, but I can tell when something is "Quality") 5) It was way easier to break down, when the LGS guy broke both of them down to show me the difference, he did the Ruger a lot faster...

just my 5 cents...

Edit: Ok so I wasn't accurate on a couple of things 1) The weight difference, however minor, I was indeed mistaken 2) I didn't remember that one was loaded when I looked at it. 3) The Ruger was more accurate for me, but I guess the weight wasn't the factor on that. 4) He might have been faster on the Ruger take down since it was "His" gun and had some practice.

I do know this, since I am a "Ruger" guy... Looking at this from a non bias stand point, I think I would still choose the LC9.. Also MoonDawg does make a great point about the PT111 Mil Pro... I am also a Taurus fan, I just can't say that I own one yet...

·
Registered
432 Posts
The LC9 is slightly smaller, and lighter.
Well I felt it was the opposite, the 709 felt lighter to me, but I like a bit more weight to a handgun... I will have to test that again... I mean I could be wrong...

Note: My Vote is still with the Ruger even if I didn't weigh them with a scale....

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Neither...I'd go with the PT111 Millennium Pro.

Almost identical in size to the 709 yet holds 12+1 rounds of 9mm.

Mine aren't for sale. ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Neither...I'd go with the PT111 Millennium Pro.

Almost identical in size to the 709 yet holds 12+1 rounds of 9mm.

Mine aren't for sale. ;)
MDawg You say that in every handgun decision thread... You even ignored my list all together... I am not saying you are wrong tho, I'd trust a PT111 over a 709 slim any day...

·
Registered
432 Posts
LC9 weighs 17.1 oz empty

Ruger® LC9™ Centerfire Pistol Models

----------

PT709 weighs 19 oz, so is about 2 oz heavier than the LC9.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Since both have a 7+1 magazine, the loaded weights would be about the same 2 oz difference.
Ok so, I was wrong... but I did say it "Felt" heavier... but I did have the LC9 in one hand and the 709 in the other, and one arm is stronger than the other so I was was a little off, plus the LC9 I think was loaded and I dunno if the 709 was.. (Probably should have checked huh?) Mainly because the LC9 was the LGS guy's EDC and handed it to me out of his holster.. BTW that shoulder rig he had was nice and he drew that thing with ease, I might get one...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That is my dilemma right now also. The more I see all the people on here that are having problems with there 709's makes me a little leery. I have only found a few negative reports on the LC9 but am still investigating. I am thinking of getting the LC9 now and the 709 later after they have worked out more of the bugs.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
MDawg You say that in every handgun decision thread... You even ignored my list all together... I am not saying you are wrong tho, I'd trust a PT111 over a 709 slim any day...
Hey, in defense of MOONDAWG and his standard comments about the PT111, don't "knock it" if you ain't tried it! (Just sayin') ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was considering the LC9, however I went with the 709 slim. Its just a great all around CCW firearm. It just felt 'right" in my hand
and it shhoots great and a handsome firearm as well!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts