Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just reporting in on a problem that I had. I bought a 709 Slim, while firing the first three mags, I double-shot out of magazines 2 and 3 which I assumed was me being unused to the really loooong trigger pull. On magazine #4 however I got a SURPRISE when 4 rounds cranked off so fast they sounded almost like 1.

I changed my underwear and called Taurus who told me it was a bad sear and I sent it back to the factory. I'm still excited as can be about this gun and cannot wait to get it back. I am sure that it's a problem that will be fixed as soon as a smith gets it.

I am also sure that it was not the sear, I found the brass from that last magazine under the snow so I could look it over. I'm posting a picture to see if anyone with more experience than me thinks the pin was stuck. The top two are ones that went off multi-shot style and the bottom one is one from the first magazine which had no malfunctions at all.

Anyway, glad to be a new Taurus owner and hopefully it will come back home soon.

Button Circle Ammunition Metal Brass

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.
State of over "1 MILLION" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting. :icon_ lala:

A "full auto" compact is a sight to behold and experience for sure!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Slam fires are more common in guns with free floating firing pins but can happen with spring loaded pins like the 709. Was the gun clean? Did you look at the pin after the 'event'? The best thing one can do is not panic and keep it pointed down range. The fact that it was a 7 round 9mm made it less of an event that a large mag of a major caliber.

Not sure how the sear would interact and cause this but I'm not a gunsmith either. Sounds like Taurus knows what's up OR threw you a bone to get the gun back for a look. I don't recall hearing of 709s slam firing - I've owned one and carried it for 2 years.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Reactions: Sgood1971

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi all, just reporting in on a problem that I had. I bought a 709 Slim, while firing the first three mags, I double-shot out of magazines 2 and 3 which I assumed was me being unused to the really loooong trigger pull. On magazine #4 however I got a SURPRISE when 4 rounds cranked off so fast they sounded almost like 1.

I changed my underwear and called Taurus who told me it was a bad sear and I sent it back to the factory. I'm still excited as can be about this gun and cannot wait to get it back. I am sure that it's a problem that will be fixed as soon as a smith gets it.

I am also sure that it was not the sear, I found the brass from that last magazine under the snow so I could look it over. I'm posting a picture to see if anyone with more experience than me thinks the pin was stuck. The top two are ones that went off multi-shot style and the bottom one is one from the first magazine which had no malfunctions at all.

Anyway, glad to be a new Taurus owner and hopefully it will come back home soon.

View attachment 47715
Although I certainly didn’t have your multifire issue you have . I do have a set of photos that show the exact same off center strike. My issue was a failure to fire. Went back to Taurus three times. Ultimately it was determined that the chamber dimensions were such that allowed the round to move forward when struck by the firing pin. They replaced the barrel and I haven’t had a failure of any type in over 500 rounds. In fact the 709 and 740 are my EDC handguns. Well until I put enough rounds through my new PT145.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slam fires are more common in guns with free floating firing pins but can happen with spring loaded pins like the 709. Was the gun clean? Did you look at the pin after the 'event'?
I tore the gun down and cleaned/lubed it before first firing it. I also inspected the pin and it seemed to move fine and free after releasing the block. I'm no gunsmith either, so that's why it's on it's way back to the factory.

I hope it doesn't take multiple trips to get it straightened out as I had a real good time shooting it the little bit that I got to. Seemed the sights were dead on from the factory. I do have every confidence that it will be resolved though, so no worries. Thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Wow, this is the second 709 post about "auto" firing I have heard about. Keep us informed on what Customer Service says the problem is. Also welcome from New Mexico.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Let's let the Admins check the IPs. With the numbers of guns going out of factories lately, a single run of out of spec parts can cause multiple problems. Just ask Glock. I've also noted several gunsmiths over the past year talking about S&W revolvers that were coming through with out of spec chambers, timing, and forcing cones. Running at 100% of production is hard on equipment, personnel, and materials.

We'll see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotta be trolls;)

Vince
I seriously am not trolling. A true troll would be slamming the brand to get the fans riled up. I'm a fan too and just pointing out an issue I had.

I will update you all when I get it back from Taurus. They sent me an email saying 5 weeks which is a lot longer than I would have liked but it is what it is. Thanks for all the good replies.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
It's possible to bump fire a handgun albeit very difficult. It sure does get your attention when it happens accidently, I got some crazy looks when one of my semi rifles bump fired at the range when I didn't mean to all because I was holding it too loosely against my shoulder.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That was a "tongue in cheek" response to another post in another 709 problem thread. Although the post did not mention names it was clear where it was directed. It infered that the problems the 709 were having amounted to whining or that it was a troll.

Vince

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry about that Vince, I haven't been on these forums long enough to gauge the mood. Now that I'm here though, I think I'll stick around. Seems like a real friendly lot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry about that Vince, I haven't been on these forums long enough to gauge the mood. Now that I'm here though, I think I'll stick around. Seems like a real friendly lot.
No problem, it for the most part is a very helpful friendly place. There are a few smart a#$'s however. Just because I have had a hard time with my 709 some people think I am on a warpath to disparage the 709. A firearm I am carrying must operate properly 100% of the time and I currently do not feel my 709 is up to the task. Taurus will repair yours at no cost and will get it back to you very quickly.

Vince

Vince

·
Registered
248 Posts
You sent BACK a full auto? RAMBO UP!;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's why I never wear clean clothes. Good luck with the turn around time.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Op... You are "sure its not the sear"????? Do you understand what the sear does and what happens it it fails? The short answer is that when the trigger is all the way back (just fired condition) all the safeties are released and the ONLY THING keeping the gun from going full auto is the sear. My guess is that your sear was not resetting and holding the striker back.
I'm not a gunsmith but i think thats pretty close.

The primer shows distortion, probably because the slide was not fully seated against the cartridge when it was fired.

By the way, had a BATFE agent been at the range you would have been arrested for an illegal machinegun. I read a similar case of a mechanical malfunction causing a multifire and they prosecuted and convicted a guy for it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Op... You are "sure its not the sear"????? Do you understand what the sear does and what happens it it fails? The short answer is that when the trigger is all the way back (just fired condition) all the safeties are released and the ONLY THING keeping the gun from going full auto is the sear. My guess is that your sear was not resetting and holding the striker back.
I'm not a gunsmith but i think thats pretty close.

The primer shows distortion, probably because the slide was not fully seated against the cartridge when it was fired.

By the way, had a BATFE agent been at the range you would have been arrested for an illegal machinegun. I read a similar case of a mechanical malfunction causing a multifire and they prosecuted and convicted a guy for it!
You are right, I am not sure it was not the sear and I should have phrased it better. I am lucky enough to not have to go to a range because I live in the middle of nowhere and have a large yard out back. Still haven't heard anything from the factory. Thanks for taking the time to explain the sear to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts