Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!
I'm new to the boards and just picked up my slim about a week ago. I'm going to be doing my CCW class here shortly and wanted to get some recommendations for good IWB holsters. I've read a lot of posts while lurking, but opinions seem to vary wildly. I figured I would drop in some specifics about what I'm wanting for the best suggestions. I'm looking for fairly deep concealment, low riding IWB holster. I would most likely be carrying at 2 or 5 just based on what is comfortable for me to reach (I lift too much and stretch too little, so I need to work on my flexibility a bit ;)). Granted, I've never concealed carried before, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. I live in St. Louis and summers here are absolutely brutal. I normally wear an undershirt, and would like something tuckable for versatility, but I'm not opposed to 2 holsters if nothing fits both bills well. On top of brutal heat/humidity, I'm a sweaty guy. I've read in some places that the blued pistols can be susceptible to rusting based on moisture retained in the holster. I'd like to avoid that, but I'm assuming even in leather that not storing in the holster helps that a lot.

So there it is! If you need other info to help with suggestions, please let me know. Like I said, I'm new to this whole thing, so I appreciate the help!
Youngblood

·
Registered
748 Posts
Check these out.

Inside The Waistband

I use the Tuckable Split Decision for my 709. It provides deep concealment with business casual or professional attire.

I use the Bare Asset non-tuckable for situation where I can wear a shirt that does not go in the waistband and I carry my 24/7 Pro DS (full size).

Both holsters actually fit both pistols so I could switch them if I wanted to do so.

Sweat is always a challenge. You can get horse or cow hide from High Noon. I chose stainless steel slides to help with this. The holsters will get sweat soaked, no way to avoid it. The pistols will do well if you wipe them down at the end of the day. There are cloths treated with the proper chemicals available at most gun shops. I don't have access to the names of them at the moment. These cloths will reduce the impact of handling the weapons and sweating on them. Your CCW instructor will know what I am talking about.

Good luck with your search and your training. Stay safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bapak! Funny that you should mention the High Noon holsters. I was actually thinking the Hidden Ally and Split Decisions both looked really nice. Good tip on the cloths, I didn't even know that existed. I'll check them out at my local store.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
My DeSantis SofTuck is great for IWB, with adjustable cant for anywhere from appendix cross-draw to strong side 5 o'clock, and it was only $18.00.
I do recommend wearing an undershirt of some sort, but for that price you can't go wrong!

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The most comfortable holster will be the CrossBreed SuperTuck, or one of its many clones. You can even get a kit to make your own from Old Faithful holsters. I make my own from scratch, it is not hard to do. Here is one I made for a friend's 709 several years ago. Last year he drove from Alabama to New Jersey and back wearing this holster. He said during the entire trip it never felt uncomfortable, or gouged him. He wears at the 4 o'clock, or just behind the hip.

I like horsehide because it not only handles sweat better but it is much tougher than cowhide and you can use a thinner leather and with all thing IWB, thinner is better. If you intend to tuck your holster, make sure you have a spacer/washer between the clip(s) and the holster. Otherwise when you go to draw, your shirt may bind and refuse to come out. Not a good thing when you are trying to draw. You will especially need to practice your draw if you tuck.

I don't like the steel clips myself, as I think they tear up your belt and just don't provide as much support as properly made Kydex clips. The holster above has what I call "L" clips that are much harder to see than the typical "C" clips. The "L" clips ride over the waistband and under the belt. The "C" clips work best when they are supporting a heavy pistol IMO.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Hi STLYoungblood and welcome to the forum! I recommend a Galco Tuck-N-Go Inside the Pants Holster. I have one for my Bersa Thunder 380 and absolutely love it. The gun just disappears when tucked, and it is very comfortable. I'd carry a Slim in one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Clearly, there are lots of options to consider. I wouldn't trade my Theis (Crossbreed-style) IWB tuckable holster for anything. I have one for my 709 and another for my 809 and I'm thinking of getting one for my Ruger 357. These work well for me. If I feel something getting sore from a bit of pressure, I can easily shift the rug a couple degrees and get immediate relief. I carry anywhere from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

This style works well for me. And when you find something that works you gotta stick with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your decision to carry. I have a blackhawk IWB holster that I bought to hold me over until my Crossbreed horsehide arrives. The Blackhawk is an okay holster it was cheap and it does that job however, it can get a little uncomfortable. The crossbreed on the other hand is supposed to be great (I hope so as I have ordered one) but I got the horsehide because it's supposed to be superior for moisture. Check out a post I had called "Holster Help needed" also, there are videos on youtube and other places showing crossbreed on different body styles and comparing them to other respectable holsters. Again welcome!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I probably need to check out some youtube vids to see how they lie. I have very little experience with holsters, so I hadn't even looked at the crossbreed style as they looked big and bulky, but I guess it contours to the body pretty well. More research to be had for sure. And LOL at the darth picture.

Oh, and thanks for the welcomes

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use hybrid style from whitehatholsters (they have NRA discount available) like crossbreed ect.... just ordered another kydex for my glock so I can swap it out w/ the same leather/clips.. goes pretty damn low as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How is the thickness on the kydex/hybrid options? Similar or less to more standard all leather? Basically, I'd like to avoid buying a bunch of new pants and shorts if possible. (most have a bit of wiggle room anyways)

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 on the Remora. When I don't feel like putting on my pancake with Springfield XDm Compact .40 S&W, I just grab the 709 in a Remora holster and tuck it inside the waistband. It's kind of my Grab-and-Go setup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
+1 on the Remora. When I don't feel like putting on my pancake with Springfield XDm Compact .40 S&W, I just grab the 709 in a Remora holster and tuck it inside the waistband. It's kind of my Grab-and-Go setup.
Remora is amazingin just how handy it is.
Will you need to adjust it more often than a supertuck? Yeah. But it's not a bother.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear that you all are suggesting remora. I put an order in for the SHTF Ace and plan to pick up a remora as well.

Have any of you used the tuckable version of the Remora? I can't decide if I want tuckable or just get the basic one first to see if I like it. I'd say when I go out, I'm tucked about 25% of the time (then again, the SHTF if tuckable too)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a hybrid style from FoxxHolsters.com $39.00 with shipping and was at my door in 3 days has a lifetime warranty and I think a 14 day trial if you don't like it you can send it back for a different style or refund.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have been carrying IWB with a De Santis Tuck and Go. It works pretty well with the PT709. (no pics) Lately I tried a Cuda from Simply Rugged. I have carried it IWB and OWB. I am finding OWB more comfortable and it conceals almost as well. The only thing I worry about is the covering garment pulling up or gapping open. Has not happened so far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts