Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Failure to eject today with my 709 after several hundred trouble free rounds. The fired case was about halfway out of the chamber & the top round from the magazine was holding the slide open.
I was shooting Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ from Wal Mart, & it was only the third round.. I cleared the jam, shot the rest of the mag with a failure of the slide to lock open on the last round ( only the second time that has happened with this gun). I shot three more mags without another issue.
I bought several hundred rounds of these Federals from a local Wally World - they were the only 9mm that I have been able to find locally for the past several months. I have used WWB 115 FMJ & Blazer Brass 115 & 124 FMJ without any problems in my 709. I previously shot 30 or 40 of the Federals through my full size Beretta 92 FS without a problem.
I am hoping that the 709 just doesn't like the Federal ammo. It is a little lighter load than WWB or Blazer.
Anyone else have extraction or ejection problems with Federal Champions in a 709?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Yes, in both 9 & .40 in several pistols (including 709/740). Finally used up and have avoided since. So far the only ammo I've had aggravating problems when using.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That is the exact failure mode I experienced with my 709, also with 9mm Federal Champion from Walmart. My failures were more frequent. No more problems after I replaced the extractor with a new one bought from Taurus. But I need to say that I couldn't see (by eye) any difference between the old and new extractor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had problems with FTE on my 709 with both Federal and Winchester. It is currently in Miami on vacation to be repaired. Hope your problem is just the ammo!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had problems with FTE on my 709 with both Federal and Winchester. It is currently in Miami on vacation to be repaired. Hope your problem is just the ammo!
I have used Winchester White box, Blazer Brass, & Independence FMJ without an issue. Unless a problem just developed with the extractor on the last range trip, the problem is with the Federal Champion ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts