Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the 709 new on 3/10/12, and after 9 days, 200 rounds, I'm sending it in for repair. I just called Customer Service, who buy the was was extremely helpful and friendly (two qualities you rarely find anymore) to arrange for the 709 to be picked up. They are shipping both ways on there dime.

Problem: The 709 shoots about 6" low / left from point of aim. The rear sight is set to the max, both windage and elevation. I tried to eliminate everything I could think of. I used two range officers to see if it was me, I shot from bench and standing. All attempts failed to improve results.

But: I love the 709, finish is nice, carrying is easy and concealable is fantastic. I hope the problem is diagnosed and fixed ASAP.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Common problem. With mine they replaced the front sight. My "new" sight is 0.15 inches tall; you might try to measure your original one. I also think it's natural to pull down and left because the trigger releases so far aft.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If you are right handed, low and left is a common malady for someone new to the 709 pistol, well anybody new to any pistol. It is the universal beginning shot group.

This is a chart used for diagnosing your trigger control in respect to shot placement (flip the chart horizontally if you are left handed):

Problem may be a combo 2 or more of these issues. Here basically low and left would be Jerking the Trigger, but it could also be Pushing Forward (anticipating recoil) and Too Little Trigger Finger, or any combination of the issues in between.

Best method for improvement is to work on trigger control, hold and stance using snap caps. Pay particular attention to the notch in the trigger pull that is almost like a 2 stage trigger between the takeup and the release. Take out the slack and feel the notch for your most consistent shots. Taurus carry pistols are notorious for a good bit of takeup in their triggers, both in SA and DA. Pulling straight through can result in groups that look like jerking the trigger. After dry firing with snap caps, see if that moves your groups up and over.

At some point your groups should move pretty close to the POA, but may still be slightly (an inch or two) off, change your ammo until you find something where your POI= your POA. You should be able to find at least a SD round for carry and hopefully a cheap target round. If you reload then you can change POI by slightly increasing or decreasing powder load or COL, once you have found a bullet type and weight, powder combo that is close and consistent. Some bullets will just shoot better out of your pistol with certain powders and terrible with others. Just remember, when reloading you are looking for that combination that shoots best out of your pistol with you shooting, not a universal round that shoots great out of everybody else's pistol.

Almost forget, move your sights back to a neutral (midway) position and after you fix things with dry firing you can make up or down adjustments once you find a round that is consistently close to POA.

This is not to say you problem could not still be mechanical in nature, but you really won't know until you have mastered the trigger.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Mine did too but after fooling with the sightsand allot of rounds I got them close for now I am changing them any way so I won't be sending it on vacation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FedEx came today to pick it up. So far, everything went smoothly. Lets see how long the round trip takes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This could only be my results but I have two 709's same problem , one of my slim's is one of first made , my second one I just purchased it , exactly the same gun and problem , the sight had not been changed at all.

I corrected the first one by putting a laser on it ,but I never wanted to be without it long it enough to send it back for any repair. But I just bought extension grips for my guns and they are like shooting like brand new guns , It readhusted my natural point of aim because now I could get a whole hand on the grip on the gun and had some place for my pinky to go and hold on.

It did work for me , but that could just be my results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish sights were my problem with my 709. It's back at Taurus for the third time in less than year, it's been gone longer than I've ever had it in my possession.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This could only be my results but I have two 709's same problem , one of my slim's is one of first made , my second one I just purchased it , exactly the same gun and problem , the sight had not been changed at all.

I corrected the first one by putting a laser on it ,but I never wanted to be without it long it enough to send it back for any repair. But I just bought extension grips for my guns and they are like shooting like brand new guns , It readhusted my natural point of aim because now I could get a whole hand on the grip on the gun and had some place for my pinky to go and hold on.

It did work for me , but that could just be my results.
I was thinking about the laser option. I looked at one and it looked great on the guy. Have to keep that in mind. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish sights were my problem with my 709. It's back at Taurus for the third time in less than year, it's been gone longer than I've ever had it in my possession.
I really didnt want to hear this! LOL Hopefully it doesn't follow in your footsteps.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you are right handed, low and left is a common malady for someone new to the 709 pistol, well anybody new to any pistol. It is the universal beginning shot group.

This is a chart used for diagnosing your trigger control in respect to shot placement (flip the chart horizontally if you are left handed):

Great chart, Thanks for sharing. Will help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts