Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good snowy morning, all -

What are recommendations for PM replacement of the recoil spring for the 709 Slim? I have a used 2010-model 709 and no idea how many rounds went through it prior to my purchase, so thought it might be good idea to replace the recoil spring. I've looked on the Taurus website and searched this forum, but can't find info on recommended replacement intervals, nor how/where to buy a new spring. Does one have to call Taurus to order a new spring? Thanks in advance for your guidance and info.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Not sure if you can get one some place else, but Taurus customer service should be able to fix you up. Take a look at anything else you might need before placing the order. The shipping charge can cover several things.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
To order you have to call Taurus as that's the only way I know to get a part number (if there is one). They have an accessories order form on their web site to place orders, but useless without part numbers. Last time I ordered something from them the CS wanted my credit card to put on file to speed up ordering - I laughed and said no way, Jose!!

I can understand your concern on lack of history on 709 spring, and could only suggest using it for spare and using new one. The problem is, like anything mechanical, while new SHOULD be less susceptible to failure, we never never know if the last time it worked was the last time it was going to work. LOL

In any case, I've been meaning to order recoil spring spares for all my Tauri - so thanks for your thread.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
i am not sure there is a recommended replacement number?
I always have an additioanl recoil spring or recoil spring assembly for any semi auto that i own, its simple eventually you gonna need it, so have it on hand.
as Taurus is the only plce that i know of to obtain Taurus parts they are likely the only game in town.
I would use the existing spring assembly until the pistol began to have problems with function or you notice a change in ejection angles/distances or slamming of the slide rearward against the frame.
thats the advantage of having one in hand is its simple to just pop the new one in if needed.
I think these assemblies are only 4-5 dollars?
as mentioned if you do order parts see if there is anything else that you might want a spare of.
IF not i can always use an extra 1911 extractor or recoil spring for one of my 1911's.-GriiiN.
just pick me up one-two-three- and send it to me!
PS: I have PT1911's in both 45 acp and 38 Super so we can be creative in ordering!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.