Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, my first post. I ran 100 rds of winchester white box through my 709 had 2 fte with the shell not extracted still in the chamber. Both times I was limpwristing so my fault. 1 ftf. I shot very low like 1 ft at 15 yards, i understand this is somewhat normal before adjustments.

Going to replace the front sight with a lower truglo and raise the rear and work on my technique. Should I be concerned about the ftf or fte, im not right now a 3% faliure rate on a brand new gun with an inexperience shooter seems fine.

My hand are a bit beat up so i probably wont get back to the range for a few weeks

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,871 Posts
Hopefully you cleaned it well before you took it to the range, if not that may be part of your FTE.

Welcome to the forum, you may want to post an Intro here : Member Introduction - Forum Rules

My 709 has been flawless, and was my EDC until the state carry laws changed.

I would put some more rounds of different manufacturers through it before I worried about the failure rate, which should dwindle to 0 as the 709 begins to break-in.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Howdy!

Make sure you cleaned the gun real well. Other than that it just sounds like you need to get you and the gun some range time. I would even suggest some professional training. My 709 has been flawless in 4+ years and 1500+ rounds.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Seems if I am going to have some problems at the range Winchester White Box is somehow involved. Clean it up and shoot it more. Think front sight, firm grip, ease that trigger back. Remember it should be a bit of a surprise when it fires.

Out shooting the other day with wife and novice lady. This is the lady's second range session and most of her fear is gone. So I give her the front sight story. You know make sure its just below the X. She reloads and continues. I glance at her and she is methodically shooting over the berm. What are you aiming at? I ask. She says. The X. It's so much easier if I just use the front sight. We had the sight picture talk all over again.

·
Super Moderator
40,474 Posts
Congrats on the 709 and welcome to the forum. From my past experience 9mm WWB can be very inconsistent with some cartridges struggling to cycle my full size PT-99.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Hello and welcome from Indiana OP! The 709 I had, had to be gripped firmly. Not a death grip, but I had to get a good high hold on the gun and get good "support hand" grip. Mine ran like a champ.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello All, my first post. I ran 100 rds of winchester white box through my 709 had 2 fte with the shell not extracted still in the chamber. Both times I was limpwristing so my fault. 1 ftf. I shot very low like 1 ft at 15 yards, i understand this is somewhat normal before adjustments.

Going to replace the front sight with a lower truglo and raise the rear and work on my technique. Should I be concerned about the ftf or fte, im not right now a 3% faliure rate on a brand new gun with an inexperience shooter seems fine.

My hand are a bit beat up so i probably wont get back to the range for a few weeks
+1 on thorough cleaning of the firearm.

Curious about your hand hurting. Was that caused by shooting, loading mags?

Welcome on board.

My 709 has given me 2 years of flawless operation. 0 failures to cycle with approx 500 rounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before i shot it I took the barrel and recoil spring out cleaned what i could get at and lubed the frame rails and the slide, i didnt take the pin and safety mechanism out of the slide. The manual said that was all the necessary dissasembly except by a skilled gunsmith.

I shoot right handed but am left eye dominant. My left hand had a good blister on my middle finger from pulling back the slide. All the contact points on my right hand were/are red. I have more office hands than say a construction worker if you know what I mean. Although my finger tips have 15 years of guitar abuse they were fine.

I have plenty to work on, I know that for sure enjoyable though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hopefully you cleaned it well before you took it to the range, if not that may be part of your FTE.

Welcome to the forum, you may want to post an Intro here : Member Introduction - Forum Rules

My 709 has been flawless, and was my EDC until the state carry laws changed.

I would put some more rounds of different manufacturers through it before I worried about the failure rate, which should dwindle to 0 as the 709 begins to break-in.
Was just curious, what state law negated your ability to carry the 709?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, i'm starting to feel a little arthritic myself after 200+ rounds through my 709 and 100 rounds through my SD40VE... I don't think it's a technique thing so much as an age thing but i could be wrong!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,871 Posts
Was just curious, what state law negated your ability to carry the 709?
Open carry passed, which means now I "casual carry" my 1911's and PT 99's. I carry OWB but I try not to slap anyone in the face with OC, therefore, I may pull on a button shirt which I often do not button, and not care which way the wind blows.

I still carry my 709 if I need to be more discreet, church, black tie events, and Presidential engagements ( :) )

·
Super Moderator
35,001 Posts
Welcome to the site. Someone may have already said this, but if you're shooting that low, I suspect a flinch. Don't mess with the sights until you are sure you're not flinching. Rest the gun over sandbags to see where it's shooting. The sandbags will minimize the input of flinch, though may not eliminate it. Concentrate on trigger and sight alignment and don't anticipate the firing of the gun. Get a snap cap and do some dry firing.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the site. Someone may have already said this, but if you're shooting that low, I suspect a flinch. Don't mess with the sights until you are sure you're not flinching. Rest the gun over sandbags to see where it's shooting. The sandbags will minimize the input of flinch, though may not eliminate it. Concentrate on trigger and sight alignment and don't anticipate the firing of the gun. Get a snap cap and do some dry firing.
29puudw.jpg I think you are right about me expecting recoil and dipping the gun, I really wanted a trueglo on there though and did it today. I can always go back I used an old laptop screw.
20151231_155031.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,001 Posts
I have a true glow that came on my 605 Poly. I'm not REAL sure I care too much for it, but it does help my old eyes a little, so I suppose it's good for old farts. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have had my 709 for just under a year now and have had good success with all ammo that I have put down range with it. It is my every day Carry gun, i pocket carry it and really like how it fits for me. i am looking to get a OWB holster for cooler/cold weather so this will expand my options. good luck with it.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Howdy!

Make sure you cleaned the gun real well. Other than that it just sounds like you need to get you and the gun some range time. I would even suggest some professional training. My 709 has been flawless in 4+ years and 1500+ rounds.
Agreed! In just a little over 2 years, some 2500+ rounds through it with nary a hiccup!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts