Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my PT-709 from a friend who is a dealer. I read on here first about all the cleaning that needed to be done on a new Taurus pistol, so I bought some supplies and was ready. When I got the gun home and prepared to clean it, it was fairly clean. I cleaned it anyway, but ended up with just some black on the swabs I was using, not at all like I thought it would be. I was expecting cosmoline all through the gun.
I did find out that my dealer didn't clean it, and that he gets his guns through Davidson's. Does anyone know if Davidson's would clean new guns before shipping them out? Any thoughts one way or another? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
913 Posts
There is a theory that Taurus is backing off on the packing grease of late. I bought my TCP last month, and it was pretty easily cleaned initially, similar to your experience. The other two Tauri I've unboxed definitely needed that initial hose down.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I doubt if any dealer would clean & lube a gun before they sold it. The black stuff you got on the swabs needed to come out & be replaced with a light coat of a good lube.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My 709 was clean enough to shoot right out of the box. Not that I recommend it but I did and it operated much better then I did, lol.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
My wife's 709 was pretty clean. From all the stuff I had read I also expected gobs of ****, but there was none. Made cleaning a breeze (once we figured out how to get the slide off; pull the trigger was absent from the directions).

·
Registered
698 Posts
My 709 was clean enough to shoot right out of the box. Not that I recommend it but I did and it operated much better then I did, lol.
Mine too, though mine was thoroughly goobered up with preservative lube.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
I've only had one of my new Taurui that was really buried in goop external and internal. Most just had a tacky exterior preservative, but little internal. Still all got a good cleaning and relube.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Recent chatter on this site is that Taurus will or is already assembling 709s in Miami. If so, such guns probably have little gooey preservative.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
When purchasing a new gun, regardless of the manufacture, I always do a field strip and clean the gun completely and lube it before taking it to the range. Some guns have lots of preservative and some have hardly any preservative. The amount in there doesn't bother me. The fact that it is opened up, cleaned and then lubed is the important thing to do with each new gun purchase.

·
Super Moderator
39,373 Posts
Recent chatter on this site is that Taurus will or is already assembling 709s in Miami. If so, such guns probably have little gooey preservative.
Even with guns "born" in Brazil you will see a marked decline in packing grease. They are shipping everything air freight now and don't require the protection from salt air. Combine that with the fact that inventory doesn't hang around too long anymore and it eliminates the need to slather them in grease.

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I bought my 709 from Academy Sports, it was so oily on it's exterior that I could only handle it with the plastic it was wrapped in. When I got it home, I field stripped it and cleaned and lubed it. When I went to the range, I had 2 FTE and one light strike, but it has been perfect ever since. Several years ago when I bought my Ruger SR9c from a LGS, I planned on picking it up on the way home from work. I requested that they clean it first so I could shoot it. When I got there, did all the paperwork and paid for it, I asked the guy behind the counter if it had been cleaned. He gave me a strange look, took it apart, pulled a rag out of his pocket, rubbed all the parts and put it back together. It was too funny to object to, so I just went to the range and shot it. It has been flawless.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
LOL! they are probably de-greasing them so they can test fire for operation!!.mine was so oily that you could have let it drip over a pan and cooked up some french fries!after 2 cleanings though it shot ok no issues.

:icon_ rofl:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts