Taurus Firearm Forum banner

709 or XDS, Which one would you get and why?

7K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  markerbeacon 
#1 ·
OK folks, I am on the fence here, I have been eyeing the 709 for quite some time but have lately been noticing the XDS. I like that it is 45ACP, but also like that the 709 is 9mm (wife and I have 9mm), I have a 1911 in 45ACP and love the 1911 platform (she doesn't like to shoot it).

So if you had your choice, cost not being an issue which one would you get and why?

Thanks for your input in advance.

#2 ·
I'd like an XDS personally. I just like .45's, and have several handguns in .45 already and nothing in 9mm. Although the XDS is at least 2x the price of a 709 to me it would be worth it. Ymmv

#3 ·
They are 2 very different guns. The 709 is slightly smaller and the barrel is .3" shorter. It is right at the edge of a pocket gun for me. I love Springfield's full size guns and , yeah 45 ACP is a solid load BUT it is more expensive, is not a high pressure round like 9mm - they make about the same muzzle energy and you are dropping 2 rounds. Sure hot 9mm can be a handful in a small gun and 45 has a good rep for heavy easy to manage rounds - again a very personal choice. For me one of the key reasons to own a semi auto pistol is to have more rounds than a revolver and reloading (arguably) is easier and faster. Is there a longer mag for the XD? One reason i prefer my Kahr over my 709 is that I can carry a second larger mag so the gun conceals easily - if I get to reload (hope that never happens) I have a 8 rounds to match the 7 +1 that I carry. Sure it's just one round but, what does it feel like to be one round short in a bad situation??! I'm rambling...

The XD probably wins when it comes to sights - fit and finish too - it's reflected in the price tag!

Handle them both - find someone that has guns that you can shoot. Tough call but I'm probably not interested in 5 +1, I'd look for a slightly larger gun and deal with it if I was going to carry 45.

I'm adding a 45 this year but probably a 1911 for competition.

Reactions: darbo and MadKaw
#4 ·
My vote is for the XDS. I love the 709, but the XDS has a pretty good feel to me personally. I have heard that some people can't get a good purchase on the grip safety for a conceal gun though, so that is a potential negative.

Also, isn't a 9mm XDS shipping this year? I think I saw something about it at Shot Show, and it probably is around a 7+1 capacity or so. Probably the same size as existing XDS, so more accesories, etc.

#5 ·
They are such different platforms it's hard to compare them. I may be a little against the grain but I think with good SD rounds and the higher capacity I'm going with the 709. I should add that my only experience with the XD line is when I was first looking to purchase a pistol they were in my top 3 choices based on lots of handling at the gun counter!

#6 · (Edited)
I've shot them both. The 2 guns are so vastly different I'm hesitant to make a suggestion. The XDS has the better trigger by far but the 709 slim is... slim.

Personally I'm not a fan of 45 in a sub compact so if the question was 709 vs XDS-9, I may suggest the XDS if you felt you could conceal it as well.

#8 ·
If this is going to be a firearm your wife will be shooting, go with the 709 slim. As much as I love the fit and feel of the XD series, if your wife doesn't like shooting the 1911, the XDS will be fired once by her and no more. The 740 would also be a step up from the 709 and might be a good medium.

#9 ·
My husband HATES (and I mean really hates) my 709. He says it's too much work for such a little gun (his words, not mine). Personally now that I'm figuring the 709 out, I enjoy it. There has been a little bit of a learning curve. It's a slim gun and it's easy to push it off target if you get too much finger in the trigger. I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more once my extra magazines arrive and I don't have to reload every five seconds. We both enjoy his Glock 17. He loves his Sig Sauer .45 1911 but it's not for me.... too big, too heavy.

I have no experience with the XDS. What do you want the gun to do?? What will it's primary function be? Our next addition to the "family" will probably be a Smith & Wesson M&P9 because I've bee shooting one at the range and enjoy it a lot, but my 709 will still be my every day carry weapon.

#11 ·
My husband HATES (and I mean really hates) my 709. He says it's too much work for such a little gun (his words, not mine).

I couldn't agree more with your husband! There's just so many other sub compacts that are easier to shoot out there. You shouldn't have to figure out a carry gun.

#10 ·
I wouldn't do any 7 series for my wife. Trigger is too heavy. Also, I'd keep her in a 9mm. Last thing anyone needs in a high pressure situation is a mini hand cannon.

#12 · (Edited)
The primary function is for my every day carry, the misses may or may not shoot it. She wants a Glock 19 to play with but I am think hard about the xds, I just like the 45 platform. I need to go to the range and try it out.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
I have to wonder what kind of speeds the .45 is coming out at with such a short barrel... I wonder if it's even enough to allow that bullet to expand on impact? I know there was an issue with compact .45's having this problem and those where typically 4" barrels... I also read (in a gun mag) that they had cycling issues with this gun during break-in.. Springfields are nice, but I would have a hard time paying big $$$ for a gun that is tip-toeing into uncharted waters with that big of round and that short of barrel..

#14 ·
I have fired several rounds through an XDs at a shooting range. In spite of its small size, firing a .45 caliber 230 grain projectile down the barrel is is surprisingly easy with very manageable recoil and a fast return-to-target. Is there is any way for you (and especially your wife) to test fire one of them? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised; I know I was.

#15 ·
Since this is for EDC purposes for you, get the firearm that YOU most feel comfortable with. It has to be one you enjoy shooting or it'll become a safe queen and when you need to rely on it, you wont have the instinctual familarity with it.

Reactions: BMC
#16 ·
If it helps right now I carry a 1911 officer model in 45, so the smaller frame gun will be new to me. I do carry a tcp as a backup or summer gun. I reslly want something that conceals a little better in a teeshirt and shorts than the 1911. I am going to the gun show this weekend to look at both and hopefully a range trip soon to fire them. Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

#18 ·
The PT145 is barely bigger and about the same weight as the XDs. It also carries an extra 5 rounds. Cost? I'm sure an easy $100 cheaper. You can still find them on gunbroker.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

#19 ·
Split the difference...get a S&W Shield in .40 S&W ;)

Actually...handle both and purchase whichever on fits YOU best.

Also consider the cost of 9x19 ammunition is about 60% of the cost of .45 ACP (when the political climate settles down)

#21 ·
I have both the PT709 and the XDS. I carry the XDS now. Laying one on top of the other they are basically the same size and width. 8 rounds of 115 gr 9mm or 6 rounds of 230 gr .45? I'll take the .45 anyday. My XDS has been proven reliable unlike my PT709. Plus .45 ammo can be found fairly easily. I found my rapid fire groupings were better with the XDS even though it is a snappy little pistol. Put it this way, it someone was about to kill you in your house and you had a 9mm and a .45 sitting side by side....which one would you pick up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.