Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this forum. Bought a 709 late last year and like everybody can't find any mags unless you want to get raped on fleabay. Got a back order with taurususa but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on their schedule when they produce and stock them.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are well aware that you bought a gun that is in the middle of a mag supply crisis.
They DO pop up and members will post if they see them but you have to watch carefully and buy fast otherwise you could be shooting 1 mag for a long time.

eBay is not at fault - it's the market. late last year and early this year mags were selling ON eBay for reasonable prices - see my SOLD listings, dates and prices. I bet you would have taken one or two of those, eh?!

Lately there HAS been a run of $100 single mag sales - got a gun for the holidays and have a trust fund - dunno?!?!

Have fun on the forum - play nice - every company hits a rough patch at times. this one just happens to effect you (and other recent posters). BTW - this HAS been discussed extensively. If you look back at those threads you will see that mags ARE eventually found. eBay (and Walmart) are not the only places to buy goods on the planet!

Was the gun a gift or did you buy it and if so - did you check mag prices and availability before buying?! I'm not asking that to irritate you - IMHO that is a key step leading to the purchase (or not) of any firearm that uses removable magazines!!

709 mags 1115.jpg
Recent SOLD prices on 709 mags - eBay :eek:
The top listing was 5 days ago - $25.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are well aware that you bought a gun that is in the middle of a mag supply crisis.
They DO pop up and members will post if they see them but you have to watch carefully and buy fast otherwise you could be shooting 1 mag for a long time.

eBay is not at fault - it's the market. late last year and early this year mags were selling ON eBay for reasonable prices - see my SOLD listings, dates and prices. I bet you would have taken one or two of those, eh?!

Lately there HAS been a run of $100 single mag sales - got a gun for the holidays and have a trust fund - dunno?!?!

Have fun on the forum - play nice - every company hits a rough patch at times. this one just happens to effect you (and other recent posters). BTW - this HAS been discussed extensively. If you look back at those threads you will see that mags ARE eventually found. eBay (and Walmart) are not the only places to buy goods on the planet!

Was the gun a gift or did you buy it and if so - did you check mag prices and availability before buying?! I'm not asking that to irritate you - IMHO that is a key step leading to the purchase (or not) of any firearm that uses removable magazines!!

View attachment 106587
Recent SOLD prices on 709 mags - eBay :eek:
The top listing was 5 days ago - $25.
Welcome from Missouri! Mingaa is exactly right! Check around and be ready to buy when you find a good price. I got 3 but not at the same time nor same place.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Make friends with your local gun shop folk, see if they have them in stock or if they can notify you if they see any.
You might be lucky and live in a region where Taurus products are not in demand so your local shops may be better stocked than the internet at large.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can use a Hi Point C9 magazine with just a slight modification to it. I have 2 of them myself and they work fine, they don't lock the slide back on the last round unless you do and extra mod. When I first got my 709 I used the C9 as my extra carry mag so if it didn't lock back it makes no difference as I was out of ammo. Now I have a total of 3 stock mags and 2 C9 mags. I hope that will help. Welcome from Minnesnowta.

This is a link on how to do the mods.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You can use a Hi Point C9 magazine with just a slight modification to it. I have 2 of them myself and they work fine, they don't lock the slide back on the last round unless you do and extra mod. When I first got my 709 I used the C9 as my extra carry mag so if it didn't lock back it makes no difference as I was out of ammo. Now I have a total of 3 stock mags and 2 C9 mags. I hope that will help. Welcome from Minnesnowta.

This is a link on how to do the mods.
Will you stake your life on it OR just take that to the range for convenience??

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Will you stake your life on it OR just take that to the range for convenience??
At best that's a range thing IMHO. What I've read about the C9 replacement doesnt really make me even want to try it honestly. The magazine from hipoint is *rounded, ours is *squared, their follower doesnt make the slide lock open, it doesnt quite fit right, etc,etc. These are things that I've read so it may work perfectly fine and I'm just unaware of what I'm missing out on.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Kind of interesting the thought process?
many complain about the quality of factory magazines and go on and on about how superior this after market mag Is or that one is, and how much better they are than the factory mag.
then others discuss how important it is to have extra mags in case of a mag failure, yet seems many are perfectly fine trying to convert non standard mags to make them work in a particular weapon.
Beats me but I got extra magazines or all my weapons and I ALWAYS carry at least 2 with me for the actual weapon that I have on me.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
16 Posts
check able ammo in hunstville tx. Tslim posted about it. I bought two of four last night from them. Have to call or go in. They are not listed on the website. You can do an order over the phone, that's what I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts