Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not suggesting that anyone try this!!!!!

I compared my 709 mag with my PF9 mag.... they are nearly identical... I haven't mic'd them yet but visually and inserting the PF9 mag in the 709 and they seem nearly identical.... the major difference is the PF9 only has a mag catch on one side and 709 mag has a mag catch on both.... also, the top of the PF9 mag is shaped ever so slightly different. I might try cutting a mag catch on the side of the PF9 mag and see if it works...
The 709 mag works in the PF9 and cycles manually... I have not tried firing it to see if it cycles properly... need much more research.

I have two PF9 mags and one 709 mag.... would be nice to have three mags that worked in both pistols.

I am not suggesting that anyone try this!!!!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks. Let us know. I'm looking for another pocket 9 and this would be a plus for the 709.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not an expert at all here, but the 709/740 is made to be able to swap which side the mag release is for left handers and that might be the reason there is a mag catch on both sides of the 709 mag. If the catch on the PF9 mag is on the same side as the mag release on the 709 you may not even need to cut another catch....just a thought if you decide to try it.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Agree with AustinC - should be no need for the right side notch for it to work. If it feeds you're good to go if there is no interference with the mag top feed being different. Got any SnapCaps or source to try with out having to fire?? And do keep us posted

Reactions: kews12 and AustinC

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here is what I have discovered... I mic'd both mags and they are nearly identical in every dimension.... except one factor..... the slot for the mag catch is just a little lower on the Kel Tec mag than the Taurus mag. If you remove the bottom plate from the Kel Tec mag it locks into the mag catch..... If held the Kel Tec mag firmly in the mag well of the Taurus and racked the slide cycling through the rounds without a problem. If I come across another Kel Tec mag before I get another Taurus mag I will pick it up and modify the catch slot. The top of the catch slot on the Kel Tec mag is 1.883 from the bottom of the mag (without the base plate), the Taurus is 1.911 (without the base plate).... so in theory enlarging the top of the catch slot of the Kel Tec mag by .18 will enable the mag catch to engage the magazine. A Kel Tec 7 round magazine is $22.00 and on their website listed as in stock as of this morning and free shipping I believe!!! Taurus mags.... when they can be found are at least $40.00 and I have seen guys paying $65.00 for a single mag!

·
Registered
367 Posts
After selling my pf9 i found a lost pf9 pinky extender in my cleaning box and tried fitting on my new 709 mag and it fregin fits ! Now i regret includind the pf9 plus one grip extender i bought for 20$$ would have been nice 8+1 and way better grip. Im am gona test fire that pinky extender ill let u guys know. Im tempted to acuire a pf9 mag for the diffrence in cost compared to a tauri unit. If youve ever used keltecs warranty you know their way more lenient than
taurus about sending u parts.
u parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone what had success using the pf9 mags? They are going for about 60 les than 709 mags right now.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Has anyone what had success using the pf9 mags? They are going for about 60 les than 709 mags right now.
I see you're in Asheville, have you tried On Target down on Sweeten Creek in your search for Taurus Mags? At the time I was there (2 months ago) they had the largest selection of OEM Taurus mags I've seen anywhere. I bought 3 or 4 of them at around $34 a piece, I think.

Give them a try and good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a 709 mag today at Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA.... $32. They had three..... This is the first gun shop I've been in that had them in stock!

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
For the cost of the PF9 mags, I think it would be worth while to sacrifice one for testing. I believe you can make the cut out to work in the Taurus but I'd also be interested to see how it would do back in a PF9 after it's been Modded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts