Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,
I was out shooting my 709 this weekend and was super pumped because I finally got my groupings down to a consistent 2" at 7 yds by adjusting my grip. For a gun that I've had for quite a while but never been able to do much better than 4" groups, I was pleased (still shooting about 2" low but that's another topic.) Anywho....I was inserting my last mag for the day (had ran about 70 rounds or so through it at that point) and upon full insertion, the slide released on its own and chambered a round. I've never had this happen before. Just to check, I hand cycled that entire mag until it was empty, and the slide failed to lock back. I hit the slide release and pulled the slide back again - same thing, failed to lock back. I did it again and this time it locked back. I ran three more mags through it with no issues whatsoever, the slide did not release itself upon mag insertion and locked back everytime it was supposed to.

I had given the gun a full in-depth cleaning before shooting, is it possible that I had applied too much lube to the slide rails in that area? Could that cause my issues? I don't think it's a "problem" because I could not get it to repeat itself.

Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A lot of semi autos will do that if you smack the mag on the bottom after inserting it. Shouldn't happen unless you smack the mag, though.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
I have some of my 1911's do this when i firmly (the only way that i insert a magazine) insert a loaded magazine.
the mag ledge is simply catching the magzine latch and releasing it.
I would say that if it were my gun then i would disassemble the magazines, clean them well, look for any burrs and reassemble them.
sounds to me like you may have a follower thats sticking a bit and not freely traveling in the mag tube.
if it does this everytime even when gently inserting the maagazine then its likely a bad slide stop.
thats my guess.
if it does it with just one brand /type of ammo check and see if the projectile nose is hititng the slide stop and causing this.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
If you over lubed the gun it could have built up sludge (mix of oil and powder residue) under the slide release lever. Some of the ammo out now is way nasty. Not saying you did, but it's one possibility. I would clean the mags out (take apart) and do a good clean with tooth brush, q-tip, gun scrubber spray on the frame and slide. A close inspection should allow you to see what is happening. I would recommend using snap caps to test cycle the weapon for safety.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts