Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, putting my 709 back together after cleaning today, and lo and behold, I recreated a problem one of y'all posted on already!
It's where the barrel & recoil spring assy tip stick out about 1/2" after assembling (slide looks very close to the right position). It's like the recoil spring is in backwards, but it's the rounded tip, not the flat end, that's sticking out. Slide won't come back off, and I've tried the "3 handed approach".

I believe the OP of the thread I remember ended up sending it back to Taurus, but if anyone knows of a fix found since that thread, I would greatly appreciate it.

So if I am sending it in, can I initiate that on their website, or do I have to call their CS line?

Thanks, bruthas... I knew the day would come!:(

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the other one that had a problem took it to a gunsmith who fixed it in minutes. If you go that route make sure to ask how it stuck and what to do to unjam it. Then post the info here. I am sure it will come up again.

Reactions: wizard_of_ahs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried pulling the trigger while pulling back a bit on the slide? it may be that some part of the firing mechanism is jamming up. I have not run into this with my 709 but then again, I'm new here and just picked mine up last week! Seems like it's going to be a fantastic gun but I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried pulling the trigger while pulling back a bit on the slide? it may be that some part of the firing mechanism is jamming up. I have not run into this with my 709 but then again, I'm new here and just picked mine up last week! Seems like it's going to be a fantastic gun but I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet.
First off, welcome to the forum!!
Yes, tried pulling the trigger while holding down both slide release tabs (the "3-hand approach). No dice.
The other thread I referenced was someone with this same issue with his 740. I think he ended up sending it in for repair, and they replace the barrel, and maybe the recoil spring.

This is the very first issue I have had with either my 709 or 809, so don't let that spook you!
I'm just bummed my everyday carry buddy is likely going on a Florida vacation...

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's got to be something simple that you just may not see. There's not many parts inside to begin with. Any chance you can post some pictures? I work on engineering type projects all the time and can usually spot a problem if I can look at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read somewhere that a gunsmith had to fiddle with the recoil spring and guide and jiggle it into position and then the slide cam off just fine. It may be that the angle of the guide rod is a bit off and you may be able to get it back in line with a bit of moving up and down... of course being careful not to bend anything.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
In that picture it looks as if the front of the slide is being pushed up by the barrel and slide spring assembly. There is a gap between the frame/slide at the front and zero gap at the back. It could be that the slide spring has somehow moved down away from the bottom of the barrel and is stuck in an odd place. Also, it's a 2 stage spring guide type of thing (not sure what the exact term is there) and it may be jamming up on the second stage of the guide. However, that shouldn't stop it from going forward and locking back up correctly. I'm afraid that without being able to physically examine it, I just don't know what could be done. It's happened before and surely someone knows.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Glad to hear all is well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts