Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 709 is a great gun in every way EXCEPT it eats holsters. I like non-leather holsters. I have had 3 holsters of varous types and they have all been eaten by my 709 when drawing the weapon. The slide lock-back catch sticks out a bit and is a sharp edge and the edge catches the material and snags until the holster is messed up (torn). I don't like leather in an IWB holster as they are hot on my skin. I bought an Uncle Mikes #12 IWB holster at Academy and it slide lock-back catch doesn't seem to snag so hopefully this will fix the problem. Having to duck tape your holster is kind of red neck even for a red neck. Anybody face this issue and if so what did you do?

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have a few nylon holsters for several of my pistols only for range use, where they sew the binding at the top I put a good amount of super glue where any part will catch it, this allows the part that snags to glide over that part. Hope this helps.

holsterfix.jpg

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a few nylon holsters for several of my pistols only for range use, where they sew the binding at the top I put a good amount of super glue where any part will catch it, this allows the part that snags to glide over that part. Hope this helps.

View attachment 27378
I honestly never thought about doing the glue thing... I am SURE it would work better to stiffen the affected area than duck tape... I am going to try it tomorrow on the ACE holster that was GREAT otherwise... the snagging was keeping me from drawing at all with that particular holster.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you have the guts to do it,,,,,,,,,,,, A dremel with a carbide tip and then some fine wet/dry sandpaper to just knock the edge down a bit. Then refinish the metal. Otherwise the superglue is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
The thing to remember about cheap nylon holsters, is that they're CHEAP. Just how much are you practicing your draw anyway?

·
Registered
218 Posts
i just got a pro carry lt iwb holster for my new pt709 light weight and all leather!!! around 30 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I carry using a Kholster but will be purchasing a UBG holster also..Nothing beats leather/kydex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts