Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on cleaning my new 709 Slim out of the box, especially getting all the grease off of it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Get some Birchwood gun scrubber (make sure it's the kind safe for plastics), spray it down and work it with a toothbrush inside and out, make sure to clean the firing pin channel and spray the extractor channel too. Brush the bore with Hoppes #9 solvent and brass/bronze brush. Then oil with a light oil such as RemOil and get a good gun grease and lightly grease the contact points.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would add: if you have access to compressed air blow our any residual GunScrubber. That will also help clear any debris. GunScrubber will completely degrease the metal so you must then relubricate.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I shot mine right out of the box, and it worked fine. I was going to clean it first, but what the heck. This little pistol draws such negative comments from forum commandos. I decided to see for myself whether or not it would give me issues in a less than ideal, clean state. No problems.

When I got home, I cleaned it. It was packed with a thick preservative grease. I used a plain hair dryer on medium heat to loosen up the grease in the lower. I cleaned out what I could get to, sprayed it with Slip2000 degreaser, and repeated the process twice.

I cleaned the barrel normally. I wiped down the slide and guide rod. I then detail stripped the slide short of removing the sights. I removed the preservative grease from all the slide components and slide.

I lightly lubed the appropriate areas with Ballistol.

After the cleaning, my 709 feels smoother.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I would also take the striker out and clean it and the channel. I use a "dry lube" on them and the channel. Several thin coats. Not oil based lube as that will mix with powder residue and make glop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts