Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had fali to feed problems with the first cartridge from a full magazine? This is my first time trying to use Critical defence ammo and the first round trys to nose dive and catch on the feed ramp. Suggestions?

·
32,659 Posts
I would try another type of premium ammo. The new Hornady ammo has a bullet ogive/nose that may not be compatible with the 709 or its feed ramp. The ammo may well be just fine with larger pistols where the angle of the feed ramp,length of the feed ramp, and other factors would make the ammo more likely to feed without problems.

Sub-compact pistols of any brand,make,or model are notoriously finicky about the ammo they will feed well.

My 709 has had no trouble feeding Remington,Federal, or Winchester premium rounds. Stay away from Federal Watch Dog ammo. It's great in any gun with a barrel length of 4 inches or longer. The 709's barrel is nowhere near that length.

·
Registered
239 Posts
One of the instructors at our range says her 709 will not handle 7+1 but will do 7 rounds just fine...several experienced people have tried the gun and checked it over, even tried different magazines and nobody can figure out why the problem exists. Seems like time for a trip back to miami to me. Could your 1st shot problem be something similar? I've had no such issues, but have had a few ammo related problems especially with reloads.

·
32,659 Posts
I'd be sure about that before sending the gun back. Actually it may be a magazine thing.

Taking the mags,fill them to full level, and let them sit might be of some help.

My mags feed just fine. All of them.

If the problem continues take a look at the mags.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have it fixed. I spent over an hour taking a fine stone, and then white rouge, all just a little at a time. Cleaned it well and lubed. And now it seems to take the first round from a full mag. Time, and a few hundred rounds will tell the tale. Thanks for all the suggestions. Happy Holidays ya all!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good luck...Ran another 100 rounds through my 709 this afternoon...The gun performed perfectly but the shooter needs some work...LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had issues with mine but mine was because my magazines would not stay seated in the gun and would come basically release not all the way out of the gun but enough to cause feeding issues. Been at Taurus for about 2 weeks now :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts