Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered before but apparently my search skills are lacking. How do you replace the extractor? I can disassembly the slide and firing pin. I've got a new one on the way and can't figure out how to remove the extractor.

thanks

·
Banned
80 Posts
This has probably been covered before but apparently my search skills are lacking. How do you replace the extractor? I can disassembly the slide and firing pin. I've got a new one on the way and can't figure out how to remove the extractor.

thanks
look in page 2 of this forum "709 slim FTE" post # 5 from scott9mm has a link to what you need.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping for a little better instruction than the following.

..once I deciphered the correct sequence, I got the orange sleeve moved forward and simultaneously moved the black end cap upwards [since the slide was upside down].

...the extractor pin which runs the length of the slide is held in place by a spring...

...I finagled [sp?] the old extractor out while slightly depressing the firing pin plunger...

...the new extractor went in fairly easily....

·
Banned
73 Posts
1. Field strip the gun so you have the side with the recoil spring and barrel removed.
2. Set the slide on your work surface upside down with the muzzle to your left (assuming right handed).
You will see an orange firing pin sleeve (with firing pin inside) and a black plastic cap at the back of the slide. You need to remove the cap by sliding it up but it is locked in place by the orange sleeve, which is spring loaded to the rear by the striker spring.
3. So using a tool (like a punch or small screwdriver) slide and hold the orange sleeve toward the muzzle about 1/8 inch. Then you can slide the black plastic cap off the back end (you may need to pry with a small screwdriver to get it started.
Now look at the extractor parts in the picture in dberadslee's post:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/51087-taurus-pt709-extractor-removel.html

With the black plastic cap removed, part 1.12 can move aft to relieve the spring tension on part 1.11 and the extractor (1.09).
4. To remove the extractor slip a very small screwdriver (like a jeweler's screwdriver) into the gap at the back of the extractor. This releases part 1.11 from the extractor and the extractor will slide right out. You might want to wipe out the extractor slot while the extractor is out.
CAUTION: the extractor holds the firing pin block in place. Don't let it fall out or lose it.
5. Slide the new extractor in. It will just click into place.
6. Compress the orange sleeve again and slide the black plastic cap back on. Once the cap is past the orange sleeve, you'll need to compress part 1.12 to get the cap fully on.

I wish I had photos because this is easier than it sounds. The only tricky part is holding the slide while you simultaneously compress the orange sleeve and slide up the end cap. Just don't lose the firing pin block or spring. Part 1.12 is captive and won't come out. The firing pin, sleeve, and spring won't shoot out but you can remove them while the black cap is off if you want to clean and lube them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts