Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with ejection firing my slim nine. It started after about 200-300 rounds, and now fails to eject 1/3-1/2 of the time. I keep it clean, and it is not "limp wrist" as I don't have this problems with other automatics from 380 through .45. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
80 Posts
I am having problems with ejection firing my slim nine. It started after about 200-300 rounds, and now fails to eject 1/3-1/2 of the time. I keep it clean, and it is not "limp wrist" as I don't have this problems with other automatics from 380 through .45. Any thoughts?
I'm having FTE's with my 709 too. Mine jams the next round in the magazine up against the empyt case before it gets out of the barrel. The first 100 rounds I had no problems. The next 600 rounds with several different ammunitions I've had 30 FTE's. I'm thinking this is enough of a break in period. Time to send it in.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
well a multitude of things can cause ejection problems, and as all of you guys aren't the fault then let me just run a few things that could be the weapons fault and not talk about not correctly supporting the gun during firing!
a lot I would guess would depend on when your 709 was manufactured!
in the beginning, i always wanted to use that phrase!!!-LOL
the 709 had problems with extractor design, an also a fair number were made with excessive chamber dimensions.
so if using factory ammo and experiencing ejection (extraction) problems then perhaps this could be the problem.
you normally will have a swelled spent case , expecially near the base of the case.
if using reloads then thats a totally different ball of wax as standard sizing dies can cause problems in weapons with tight chambers and of course improper reloading practices can make cases neither chamber or extract.
i would also point out that failure to extract (as in leaving a spent case in the chamber and trying to feed another ) is not really an ejection problem but an extraction problem.
also you might find that a 124 grain bullet offers better operation than the lighter 115 grain ammo.
it is also very important to properly clean the extractor and extractor area so it can operate as designed.
Hope this helps a bit and good luck with the 709.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow-up: I read elsewhere that remington ammo would eject better from a 709. I tried this and my problems dropped from 3-5/10 to about 1/10 rounds, still not nearly good enough. I only use factory ammo, as I am too time-challenged to get into reloading. After two extremely long periods on hold and one failed promise to call back, I finally have been promised a return label to send it in. It hasn't arrived by e-mail yet, so we'll see.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Follow-up: I read elsewhere that remington ammo would eject better from a 709. I tried this and my problems dropped from 3-5/10 to about 1/10 rounds, still not nearly good enough. I only use factory ammo, as I am too time-challenged to get into reloading. After two extremely long periods on hold and one failed promise to call back, I finally have been promised a return label to send it in. It hasn't arrived by e-mail yet, so we'll see.
I've been having the same problem. I called yesterday stayed on hold for about 10 minutes. By the time I got off the phone I had my e-mail return information. Printed it out went right to Fed-Ex and droped it off. Today I recieved e-mail from Taurus that they recieved my 709 said it could take 4 weeks to get it back.

·
Banned
73 Posts
In my case, seems the extractor was the problem, see:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700s/61366-pt709-extractor-r-r.html#post823703

Also, do not load a round in the chamber and then let the slide slam forward. Some on this list reported that can/will damage the extractor. Always load from the mag and then top up the mag to get the full 7+1.

I believe Taurus Miami previously replaced the barrel on mine because it shot low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got the gun back from the factory. New extractor and barrel. Went straight to the range. Shoots wonderfully now, no problems. Impressive service!

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
I just got the gun back from the factory. New extractor and barrel. Went straight to the range. Shoots wonderfully now, no problems. Impressive service!
Good news, hopefully the problem child has been straightened out!
Enjoy.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Good for you. How long did the repair take??? And how many rounds have you shot???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts