Taurus Firearm Forum banner

709 coming out of IWB holster

4K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  moosemaster831 
#1 ·
I got my TN handgun carry permit a couple of months ago. I have been keeping my 4" Ruger GP 100 & my Beretta 92FS in the car, but they are both a little bulky for concealed everyday carry, so I got a Taurus 709 last week.
I have tested the 709 & found it reliable and surprisingly accurate. I feel like IWB is the least conspicuous way to carry this firearm, & bought an inexpensive Blackhawk IWB holster ( single belt clip, size 5 which seems to fit the gun nicely). in the first two days of carry, gun has "popped out" twice while I was just walking.. Both gun & holster end up on the ground, & I already have a few scars on my new Taurus. I have tried 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock with same result.
My thinking was that I'd try the inexpensive holster until I found the most comfortable & secure position, & then get something better, but it doesn't seem to be working out. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ·
That same holster was my first for my 709. The gun fell onto the floor at a indoor shooting range one day. Just as quickly as I could afford it I bought a better holster. Actually I now have 2 holsters. A Remora and Crossbreed mini-tuc. I use the Crossbreed the most. There are many good holsters out there. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality holster.

PS: welcome aboard and congrats on the 709. I love mine!

#3 ·
Time for a better holster M8! 2 pop and drops are 2 too many. The clip needs to come around the belt firmly and the holster should be form fitted to hold the gun and cover the trigger with solid material. Look at Don Hume leather IWB for good affordable EDC IWB holsters. I like Hume - there are many other excellent holsters. It's time to dump the cheap generic holster like it dumps your gun!!

Reactions: dbeardslee
#5 ·
Plus 1 on the CrossBreed or one of ts many clones. Old Faithful Holsters offers a nice kit if you are a little bit handy and need to save a few bucks.

#10 ·
Make sure you use a real gun belt. Holster clips hold best on real gun belts.

Reactions: ice
#13 ·
Thanks for the quick replies and the good ideas. After checking out some product web sites and a few you tube videos, I ordered a Remora. I like the idea of it being easy & quick to put on/ take off, and the flexibility in where it can be worn. Since it is pretty inexpensive, I can experiment & have the option of getting something more elaborate later as I get a little more experience with EDC.

#14 ·
This is what worked for me,Uncle mikes #15 superslide parts # 8615-0,take a spare or old spring belt retainer and measure down a bit on the outside portion of the holster to where the spring bottom would come out of where the gun retainment strap portion is,then using a exacto knife,slice a slot in that portion,slip the spring down thru the slot to check that the spring will retain the holster inside your waist,take the spring retainer out,with a lighter slightly burn the slotted area to "glue" the fibers in that area,put pistol retainment straps in holster and with some real effort put spring back in.instant dual duty holster!hope that helps.

#15 ·
I make my own CrossBreed clones out of Kydex and horse hide. I mold the Kydex with a heatgun and a homemade clamp board. It is really simple to do. And Old Faithful Holsters makes a really nice kit with all the parts. Even if you are not handy, order the kit with the pre-molded Kydex and just put it together. Here is a holster for a 709 that I made a while back.

#17 ·
Howdy,

Just another reason I do not like IWB carry.

Ive been carrying a handgun for over 31 years and I've never had one "pop out" while I was OWB carrying.

Paul

#19 ·
For in the waist band I use the Ace Case size J for the 709 works great.

#20 ·
I use a Theis horse hide it's very comfortable and secure

#23 ·
By far the best all round holster for me is a Remora with a reinforced top. The "stickiness" takes some of the weight of the gun and makes for a very comfortable and concealable package. Best thing about the Remora is that you can carry it in just about any position.

#24 ·
I use the Uncle mikes IWB 36, the Blackhawk in the pocket 4 and also have a WRB 4-3 IWB with a thumb break.
The uncle mikes is the 3 rd one I have had.

#27 ·
I still like the ones I make a little better.

Don't know what that Fox runs but the Old faithful Holsters you can get in a kit with the Kydex pre-molded for your pistol, or not. If you feel adventurous I think you can even get a kit that is just a piece of leather, Kydex, and all the parts. I make mine from scratch, it is not hard. You just need to be a little bit crafty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.