Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had several issues with the new gun.
200+ rounds, many failure to feed issues (bad magazine)
Front sight was loose and stripped
At around the 400rds mark I lost the second strike capability (reason or trip) slide seemed to travel too far forward?

They replaced the front sight
Shipped back my bad magazine (I think there was miscommunication on this issue)
The slide/2nd strike issue... They couldn't find the problem???

I put 200 rds through it today with no issues except a couple FTE

Gun was received, repaired and back in my hands in 2 weeks..

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Great news. I hope all is fine with the gun from now on.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
So is the 2nd strike capability working now? Seems in your description everything wasn't fixed. I just sent my new TCP in only other gun I had to send them was my other TCP they had to change the barrel.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is the 2nd strike capability working now? Seems in your description everything wasn't fixed. I just sent my new TCP in only other gun I had to send them was my other TCP they had to change the barrel.
Yes everything seems to be working fine. I'm not really sure what the deal is/was but all is good now.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The second strike mechanism is very simple. A tab sticks up from the trigger bar and pushes the striker aft until the trigger bar is cammed down (when the trigger is near full aft) to release the "cocked" striker. About the only ways for the second strike not to work would be if the trigger did not return to the forward position or if the trigger bar stuck in the cammed-down position. Both of these would likely be fixed by cleaning and lubrication.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The second strike mechanism is very simple. A tab sticks up from the trigger bar and pushes the striker aft until the trigger bar is cammed down (when the trigger is near full aft) to release the "cocked" striker. About the only ways for the second strike not to work would be if the trigger did not return to the forward position or if the trigger bar stuck in the cammed-down position. Both of these would likely be fixed by cleaning and lubrication.
I'm not exactly sure what was going on. It seemed to be a slide travel issue. I could push the slide back just a hair and there was a little click and it would function properly until the slide cycled again.

If your curious here's my thread in another section here....

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/92191-need-little-709-help.html

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here's another possibility: If the striker "stuck" too far forward, that would also produce your symptoms. The 709 firing pin gas a reset spring (in addition to the big striker spring) which pushes the striker back slightly after firing. Again, a cleaning and lube issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts