Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer has 2 709s and 1 740. I checked them out and was about ready to buy the 40 until I squeezed the trigger / dry fired.
The trigger on all 3 were horrible I'm guessing 8lbs or more in single action, how ever in double action it was not to bad and that seemed strange because SA is usually a better feel to me. I never much liked pulling a trigger thru on a revolver so I always manually cocked it before firing.

I have a 24/7 Pro DS and when new its trigger was a little stiff but nothing like the 709s and 740 is.

I'm wondering about a few things.
Why would they make the 709 & 740 SA DA if there is no de cocker? I mean when you chamber a round it puts you in SA mode so what good is DA on this pistol?
Does the trigger improve with use?

After deciding against those for now and since this will be a conceal carry gun I started looking at other small handguns and like the looks of the Millennium PRO 145.
I hand load for 45acp but not 9mm or 40 S&W so the 45 would be more practical in that regard.

I have not seen a 145 and want to know in regards to size what to expect? Would it be the same size thick and height as my 24/7 pro but with a shorter barrel?
Does the 145 have a de cocker?
How's the trigger on the 145?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
.............................................................I have not seen a 145 and want to know in regards to size what to expect? Would it be the same size thick and height as my 24/7 pro but with a shorter barrel?
Does the 145 have a de cocker?
How's the trigger on the 145?

Thanks!
Yes as to size - same, but shorter - I use the same PT24/7 molded (leather, Kydex or Carbon Fiber/Plastic) holsters for my MilPro's. As for trigger on MilPro it's smoother and lighter than (although I have no problem with strong 709 or 740 trigger pull and can't say whether any better today than when new after 500 +/- rounds thru each) Slims (I don't have PT145, but presume similar to PT111 & PT140 in this regard). None of the MilPros's have a decocker G1 or G2.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm wondering about a few things.
Why would they make the 709 & 740 SA DA if there is no de cocker? I mean when you chamber a round it puts you in SA mode so what good is DA on this pistol? Does the trigger improve with use?
DA is really a misnomer for the 709/740 slim. It is really a restrike capability that might fire a dud round that didn't fire the first time. There is no practical way to shoot the 709/740 double action short of modifying the gun. But I'll call it DA because that's what everybody else does.

In DA mode, the 709 operates much like a Glock, but with much more trigger throw. A tab on the trigger bar catches the foot of the striker and pushes it aft as you squeeze the trigger. The DA trigger force is mainly the force to compress the striker spring, typically 6-7 pounds. As the trigger bar reaches the full aft position the back end of the trigger bar is cammed down to release the striker (which then moves smartly forward to hit the primer). But this only happens if the gun previously failed to fire in SA mode.

In SA mode, a separate sear (which is aft if the trigger bar tab) catches the foot of the striker as the slide moves forward, either while racking the slide or when the slide cycles after firing. This sear releases the striker when it is pushed aft a short distance, again by the trigger bar. To do this. the trigger bar must overcome both the striker spring and friction between the sear and the bracket that holds it. This friction should smooth out as the gun breaks in.

I can't comment on the other guns you mention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have owned a 145 and I really liked it. The only reason I got rid of it was because I gave it to a relative. That was before I had my conceal carry permit. Once I got my permit I went to the same gun dealer to buy a 145 but they were out and only had 140s, 709s and 740s. I bought the 740 based on chambering and size. The trigger on the 145 is way better than the trigger on the 740. I will say that a few hundred rounds through the 740 and the trigger no longer bothers me.

I carry the 740 everywhere I go. It fits right in my empty pocket.

No decocker on the 145 and controls are left side only. I think it's a great gun and would probably have it instead of the 740 if they had one at the time. I'm completely satisfied with the 740 now and have no need or desire for the 145 but it would be a great conceal carry gun IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.