Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody on here asked one day if the 740 and 709 slides and magazines can be interchanged.

Well, I found this answer out as I now own both.

The 709 slide and magazine will work on the 740 frame, the 740 slide will fit on the 709 frame, however the magazine will not go into the magwell if it is loaded. the 709 magazine will fit and lock into the .40s

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I personally would not suggest firing the gun, with a 709 slide and barrel on a 740!!! It might work, or it might come apart, and I would not want to find out the hard way.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
This makes no sense to me.
So, I have a 709 and a 740. Let me do some swapping here and turn the 709 into a 740 and turn the 740 into a 709 and now I've got... Wait a minute: something wrong here...
Well, d-mn, I still have a 709 and a 740.
How did that happen?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol somebody was asking about buying a new slide and having like a conversion kit.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Somebody on here asked one day if the 740 and 709 slides and magazines can be interchanged.
Well, I found this answer out as I now own both.
The 709 slide and magazine will work on the 740 frame, the 740 slide will fit on the 709 frame, however the magazine will not go into the magwell if it is loaded. the 709 magazine will fit and lock into the .40s
OK, I see where this is going!!
did i ever tell you all about the guy that use to shoot 41 magnum ammo in a 44 magnum cause he liked to see the cases split???
and yea we all thought he was pretty dumb!

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
I'd think the recoil spring would be different, for one.
IF i remember correctly this has been discussed before and several people that ordered recoil spring assemblies for thier 740 recieved ones thta were marked as 709, they called CS and they stated that it was the same recoil assembly.
I guess with that dual captive spring system it works fine in both guns?

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
This makes no sense to me.
So, I have a 709 and a 740. Let me do some swapping here and turn the 709 into a 740 and turn the 740 into a 709 and now I've got... Wait a minute: something wrong here...
Well, d-mn, I still have a 709 and a 740.
How did that happen?

Obviously some of that BLACK MAGIC going on here!-LOL
can you pull a bunny out of the end of the barrel as well?

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Obviously some of that BLACK MAGIC going on here!-LOL
can you pull a bunny out of the end of the barrel as well?
If you can find me a bunny with a diameter not exceeding .357 inches, I think I can do it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and by the way im not going to shoot the gun like this, was just checking for fitment since people wanted to know, I will say that the 740 frame does work the action on the 709 as i did dry fire it

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
If you can find me a bunny with a diameter not exceeding .357 inches, I think I can do it.
Well if you are going to use a skinny bunny then thats no trick!!
I thought you were going to use a regular fat short bunny!
Just never mind then!
I have already seen it done with a skinny bunny!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts