Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I mount my grip extension to the 709 magazine and took the gun to the range yesterday for the first time. I was satisfied for the most part. I ran 125 rounds of 124 gr. FMJ from USAmmo.com. Not a single FTF or FTE. I never had to use the second strike feature. I slow fired and rapid fired. The slide however, did fail to lock back once on an empty magazine (1 mag out of almost 19 full mags.) I don't consider that a problem.

The gun did something I consider odd, though. It worked fine with 7 rounds in the mag, but when I loaded 7+1, the second round did not feed into the chamber. I had to rack the slide to get the round into the chamber. I loaded 7+1 numerous times to see if I could repeat the occurrence. It happened every time. I can load +1 on both my Berettas and my PT92 with no problem. Am I missing something?

My first few shots were low and to the right (I'm left handed). I think it was mainly me, but I did adjust the rear sight to the left and up as far as it would go. I worked on my follow through and was able to put multiple rounds in a 5" pie plate from 21 feet. I think I can do even better with more practice.

I like how the trigger breaks at the rear of the travel. It feels different from my DA/SA pistols. I can see why striker fired pistols are popular.

It went bang every time I squeezed the trigger, recoil is not objectionable, nowhere close to a .38 Airweight or LCR. I need to try some JHP and a few +P rounds and get some more practice before using it as a CCW gun. The slide is also starting to loosen up a little as that recoil spring gets a workout.

Bottom line, I like it but this +1 thing is wack.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
How are you loading the +1?
Proper way to do it is insert loaded mag, rack a round, eject the mag and load one more round in the mag.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
The mag springs could be the problem, being new they're still too tight. I would break them down, clean and lightly lube the spring, and check to make sure the follower slides up and down easily without snags. After you get them back together, take a dowel rod of long screwdriver and work the followers up and down fully about 50 times. This will simulate the loading and unloading of ammo in them like shooting at the range, loosening the feed up a bit without wasting rounds. And of course, never load the +1 straight into the chamber and release the slide closed onto it. This usually can cause damage to not only the extractor claw, but the lips of the magazine as well. Always load one from the magazine and replace the round in the magazine following that action.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are you loading the +1?
Proper way to do it is insert loaded mag, rack a round, eject the mag and load one more round in the mag.
Yes sir. Load up with 7, chamber a round, eject the mag, top it off with another round, reinsert the mag.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Mine doesn't all ways lock back on empty mag either.But most of the time it does. I've never had problem with loading one in the chamber and getting the next round to load. I have the rear site raised as high as it will go. At 21 feet I put the sites at the top of the bulls eye and my rounds will land low on the bulls eye.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine doesn't all ways lock back on empty mag either.But most of the time it does. I've never had problem with loading one in the chamber and getting the next round to load. I have the rear site raised as high as it will go. At 21 feet I put the sites at the top of the bulls eye and my rounds will land low on the bulls eye.
I'll give that a try next time I'm at the range.

·
Banned
80 Posts
The trigger took some getting used to. A lot of folks really like this trigger. But for me it took some practice to get a smooth pull. I dry fire mine a lot and it helps.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on your recent acquisition of the PT709 Slim!

I have 740 and truly love it!

Reactions: Armedpatriot

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Picked up the new family member three days ago and am hoping to get to the range today to put it through the paces. I have done some break it already by working the slide a 150 times or so smoothed the edges of the mags with a small fine file where the ammo feeds and followers. Made sure the DA/SA worked I always put my 24/7 in SA for carry as I will with the 709 for my new back up once I have enough rounds through it to trust. I also gave it a second cleaning and blew out with compressed air all the nooks and crannies the ensure there were no leftover manufacturing debris and such then re lubed. Ready for a test drive can't wait.

Thank you for sharing your experience with yours with us.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The trigger took some getting used to. A lot of folks really like this trigger. But for me it took some practice to get a smooth pull. I dry fire mine a lot and it helps.
I like the super short reset on mine it's only about 3/8 to 1/2 in let off before it's reset and ready to let the firing pin loose on the next round. The reset on my 24/7 is short but not that short still makes for a quick follow up shots. When me and a buddy of mine go to the range he has a D/A only and a couple times we have speed shot against each other and with my S/A I can get 4 to 5 rounds more out in the same times then his D/A. We will each load the same amount of rounds and I will be out while he is still firing his last 4 or 5. We have switch with each other and the results are the same with his gun I still have to shoot 3 to 4 round after he is done with mine. He is a bit slower with mine because he forgets not to let his finger come all the way forward sometimes.
I will see soon how the shorter reset works for me with the 709.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts