Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn't see why the little Taurus TCP 732 couldn't have a 7-round magazine considering the similar sized KelTec P32 has one. A little experimenting had to be done. :angel:

I also have a NAA Guardian .32 ACP with 4 magazines, so after some checking of dimensions I found I could use the NAA mag follower and NAA mag spring in the Taurus magazine. I didn't want to try modifying the Taurus parts since the TCP 732 is not being made anymore. It turns out that while the Taurus magazine body is longer than the Guardian magazine body, the springs are the same length. Although, the Guardian spring is larger in its oval than the Taurus spring. This is due to the inside dimensions of the followers.

Without modifications, the NAA parts in the Taurus magazine still would not allow me to stuff 7 rounds in the mag with the mag installed in the TCP. So, out came the Dremel, file, and fine sandpaper. I ended up cutting one NAA mag follower at 0.55" long on the front follower leg and 0.50" long on the rear follower leg. After filing the front leg round and with the bevels cut in place (to allow sliding over the mag spring when being compressed) the front leg got to around 0.54".

Anyway, I did a function test at the firing range today and the modded magazine worked perfectly through 100 rounds using the gun as 7+1 every time. The magazine pushes into the TCP 732 with ease and plenty of room. It is comparable to the 6 round mag with the Taurus follower when in the gun. Chambering a round from a full magazine is as easy as any gun with a full magazine, and can be done from slide lock or the sling shot method.

Of course, one downside to this idea is the slide will not lock back when empty with the NAA mag follower. Only the Taurus magazine follower will allow that. I'm betting other .32 ACP magazine followers might work if anyone wants to experiment with some old magazines they have.

Note: Must be logged in to see photos.

·
32,658 Posts
Interesting experiment and it works. Nice going! Great pics and explanations.

Like you said the 732 is not made anymore so it would be wise for others not to fiddle with the 732. If you break it you get to get it fixed if you can.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like you said the 732 is not made anymore . . .
Apparently so. When I ordered this little blued slide 732 at Gallery of Guns, there were 99+ last week. This morning there are only 4 of the blued model.

They still have the stainless and pink versions, though! :icon_ banana:

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. My digital camera is putting lines all over the screen and the photos. Since I've put my camera money into guns and ammo recently, the cell phone will have to do a while longer. :eek:

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
DARN! wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier to carry that 1 extra round in your shirt pocket like Barney Fife??
SO the 732 is discontinued
that explains why everyone has them on sale now!
CDNN had 4 different models on sale if i remember correctly, the blue and stainless with the black poly frame and the Pink poly frame in blue and stainless if i remember right.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DARN! wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier to carry that 1 extra round in your shirt pocket like Barney Fife??
You know me, I can't leave anything alone if I can see a way to make it better for me. Sometimes my little ideas don't work out, I'm really glad this one did. :laugh:

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
You know me, I can't leave anything alone if I can see a way to make it better for me. Sometimes my little ideas don't work out, I'm really glad this one did. :laugh:
He-He-He, yep I often wonder if you and Dbeardslee aren't actually twins and were seperated at birth and put up for adoption to different families!
but thats fine, if thats what floats you boat and doesn't hurt anyone go for it.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
32,658 Posts
I would not be surprised to see Taurus have another run of them made down the road in the future. I've seen a lot of 738s for sale in a lot of places that are not being sought after at a lot of places. It's a good gun,don't get wrong, but I think the .32 ACP will make another comeback in various brand guises.

There are a goodly number of shooters who will find the .32 ACP more user friendly where recoil and other issues come into play.

Yes, I know the .380 ACP hits harder. I'm adding a Taurus 58 S and a Beretta 85 to the fold as this is written. In those packages I can handle the kick better than I can in much smaller guns. Yet I find no troubles in shooting .44 Specials and .45ACP rounds.

Bersa already started that trend.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You know, I think the .32 ACP in this format makes a perfect gun for the recoil sensitive. I know a few ladies that can fire the .380 versions of these guns just fine, but they are aprehensive about it and do not look forward to doing so.

I'm glad KelTec still makes the P32 and it would be great if Taurus would make the 732 again. I think the rest of the makers like Ruger would benefit from making a few thousand of the LCPs in .32 ACP every year.

The Taurus 732 is so much more controllable than the .380 versions of this gun that it is the only pocket centerfire gun I have that is actually fun to fire. I almost wish the frame and grip were steel so it would last as a long term range gun. In my hands the 732 feels as controllable as a small .22LR, until I fire a .22LR that is. :D

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
Yes, while i have often stated that i personally think Taurus makes way to many variations of weapons, mostly because of the problems with them stocking parts and being able to fast turn around repairs, and its hard for us old guys t remember which of the 973 different 38 specials are the model number 976-S!-LOL
I am not a fan of the 32 or 25 auto personally, if I am carryign that size pistol then why not the 380, but for those that have probelms with the recoil and yes the 738 does have recoil then I see the field open for the 32 auto.
seems a bit strange being a really new weapon that it would be removed from availability so fast?
perhaps sales were really, really slow on it right out of the gate?

·
32,658 Posts
Just a little while ago. Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc. has them on sale if you download their online catalog page. Prices are looooow!
That's true for other online gun places as well. Not all but for a majority of them that have 732s still in stock.

Nothing says that Taurus won't start them back up down the road in the USA or in Brazil. If they get enough requests for it why not?

There are plenty of models Taurus still makes that are not available here that are over there.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
huh why did they stop the 732?
well specualtion on my part but you would think it would almost have to be really, really low sales as the gun was not long ago released!
Low sales likely due to small caliber, high priced ammunition, lack of variety of ammunition.
around here 32 auto ammo is about as scarce as 10 Mm and 38 super ammo, i am not saying its that way everywhere but it is here.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Mini Range Report

I took out the TCP 732 a second time today. Now she has about 350 rounds down the pipe with a mix of Aguila, Sellier & Bellot, and Fiocchi. Mostly Fiocchi and all of it FMJ.

I fired out of the 7-round mag and the 6-round mag and both functioned perfectly again. Just for grins, I tried firing one round with the magazine removed and noticed the empty cartridge got ejected out of the mag well. The gun does the same thing when hand cycling a round out of the chamber when the magazine is out.

I guess when the magazine is in place, the magazine does a better job of ejecting empties than the ejector does. I did have quite a few empties hit me in the face when firing which is weird. On the first range trip, I had a hot empty go behind my glasses and get stuck on my cheek. Mmmmm, singed flesh.

The slide release is now automatic when you seat a loaded magazine in the gun quickly. If I care to change it, I will have to sharpen up the slide catch notch in the slide.

One thing is for sure, this is still the most fun pocket gun I own. I only own four pocket guns, so take that for what it's worth. :D

I like the accuracy of the little TCP 732, too. Even with the small sights, short sight radius, and long trigger pull it is very easily a 15-yard gun. I entered it in the March 2012 Handgun Shootout for guns with barrels 4" long and shorter. It puts up respectable groups even in my poor shooting hands. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/firing-line/64658-march-handgun-shootout-6.html#post842529

1 - 14 of 14 Posts