Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a possible trade for my 709 slim which I'm about ready to move on from anyway.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I've been wanting a rifle with some reach and power as opposed to only the 22lr's I have now. I just have zero knowledge about them. I've always been a shotgun/handgun guy

Advice/tips please

Screenshot_2015-04-14-06-03-51.jpg

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
You might want to move this to the "For Sale" section for maximum exposure. Very nice looking Mosin, good luck.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to move this to the "For Sale" section for maximum exposure. Very nice looking Mosin, good luck.
I'm not selling, I'm thinking about trading for it. Looking for advice

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
That is one tricked out Mosin-Nagant rifle. Most were built during WW2, after the war they were rebuilt/repaired and put into storage. After USSR became Russia, many were imported and sold in the USA for $100-$200. At last weeks gunshow, I seen them sold for $239. They are known to be reliable even when covered with mud. They will work as a hunting rifle, but there are lots of better choices out there for the price that fellow is asking for his rifle. Lots of fellows love them as range rifles because you can buy surplus corrosive ammo for $130 for a 440 round spam can.

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
A man has to do what a man has to do. I wouldn't.

·
Administrator
35,288 Posts
The only thing I don't like about that Mosin is, look how far forward the scope is. I have a feeling that it's going to be a love or hate issue once you got it. There won't be any pulling it closer without some modifications - turning down the bolt, and figuring out how you want to hold the scope securely.

Good luck in your decision !

Reactions: Paul81

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A man has to do what a man has to do. I wouldn't.
The only thing I don't like about that Mosin is, look how far forward the scope is. I have a feeling that it's going to be a love or hate issue once you got it. There won't be any pulling it closer without some modifications - turning down the bolt, and figuring out how you want to hold the scope securely.

Good luck in your decision !
Ya that does seem a little bit awkward

With all those added whistles and bells...I'd trade...

Kinda my dilemma. I'm ready to part ways with the 709 and would gladly let it go for $300

·
Administrator
35,288 Posts
Please be careful not to start discussing particulars in this thread. If you'd like to put it in Classifieds, then feel free to - you can always update the price later. ;) We just can't have a thread out here in open forum that turns into a 'for sale' ad.T

Thanks !

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
With all those added whistles and bells...I'd trade...
The OP is going to come up short on the 'cash value' issue.

IMHO the Mosin is overpriced but to start the Mosin owner is going to believe they are $200 or more apart.

THAT would not be my first rifle.

There re are very good (great?!) offerings in new bolt rifles chambered .223 to 30-06 and everything in between. Price $3-400.
- Ruger American
- Remington 783
- Savage
- Stevens

Check reviews and look for sales. Modern optics drop right on - some come with a basic 3-9 scope in the package.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ya that does seem a little bit awkward

Kinda my dilemma. I'm ready to part ways with the 709 and would gladly let it go for $300
Buds has new 709s for $246 + free shipping.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buds has new 709s for $246 + free shipping.
But my 709 comes with 2 mags, pinkie extensions and IWB and OWB holsters :)

And this will be an even swap

Reactions: mingaa

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
I'd pass on the Mosin, sell the 709, buy a Ruger American....but that's just me. Old worn milsurps are what they are. I have a few. My serious shooters are 2 Remingtons (.308 and .257 Roberts) and a Savage (7mm Remington Magnum).

The scope is forward because the Mosin is a Mannlicher action with the split rear ring for the bolt to pass through, not a solid ring Mauser 98 type which is MUCH preferred and which most all modern bolt action sporting rifles copy. I have a Mannlicher style German 88 commission rifle, mostly because I got it for $27.50 back in 1976. It's an interesting piece of history, but not something I'd hunt with or try to mount optics on. There have been some fine sporting rifles built on 98 Mauser actions, but Mannlicher style actions, not so much. There are multiple reasons for this.

Suit yourself, but I'd pass on that weird contraption.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Example

$300 at Academy:

The Remington Model 783 .270 Winchester Bolt-Action Centerfire Rifle features a 22" free-floating barrel with button rifling and dual pillar bedding. This rifle weighs 7.25 lb. and has an adjustable Cross-Fire™ trigger system. SuperCell™ recoil pad.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/remington-model-783-270-winchester-bolt-action-centerfire-rifle/pid-819627

*it's a buyer's market - I'll shut up now!

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
I very much like the Savage rifles. They're very accurate out of the box. I think I'd be looking at the Savage Axis first, Ruger American second, personally. Modern bolt guns are out of the box MOA capable without work, generally.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I very much like the Savage rifles. They're very accurate out of the box. I think I'd be looking at the Savage Axis first, Ruger American second, personally. Modern bolt guns are out of the box MOA capable without work, generally.
There is a whole new generation of great & affordable shooters RIGHT NOW! If someone got the best bolt, trigger and barrel all on the same gun...
I have a list of 3 - Ruger, Remington and Savage keep swapping places for the lead as I handle them - soon I'll grab one in 30-06 (what I'M looking for) for $300 and I'm sure I'll be happy!!!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I wouldn't. 100 dollar gun with a cheap muzzle break and stock. Only thing that would change my mind is what kind of scope is not it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input guys.

I still don't know what I'm going to do. Lol and I told him I'd let him know this afternoon

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Paul, another thought Mosins have been going up in price. I don't that that'll be the case for the 709. (Original of course)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts