Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federal Champion 9mm plated 115gr bullets, fire 6 out of 7 remove moonclip last bullet has left the case and is in cylinder free bore. Bullets drop through the free bore easily.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In a semi auto pistol, bullet creep is limited by the confines of the magazine, and the recoil effects are less than in a revolver as a lot of the recoil energy is soaked up in cycling the action. If you reload, just run 'em through your crimp die and give 'em a little extra hug.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I don't get much creep. A lot of it has to do with recoil, how it is absorbed, and the weight of the gun. A friends LCR is bad for it, especially with handloads. He doesn't crimp enough, and I get accused of excessive crimp.:D

However, I've gotten good results so far with my 692's. My SP101 wasn't too bad, and the 692 was a marked improvement over it. Now if the Yankee marshal used a heavier revolver, his results would have been different. It is near non-existent in my Blackhawk.

Maloy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried some Winchester steel case, bullet stays put, but the fired cases stick badly and you have to tap the ejector rod on the bench to get loose. So I got some Winchester 9mm 115gr range ammo brass and bullet stays seated. However the Winchester primer are so much harder than the federals I had go from 8# to 11# hammer spring for reliable ignition. As I'm typing this it just dawned on me the steel case were Winchester and they all fired with the light hammer spring. So is Winchester using different primers ? Why? Also TC custom moon clips, very nicely made but the edges are really sharp and catch on brass rims and limit the amount of wobble, so sometimes you moon clips won't just drop in. Had to polish all the edges dremel/cratex.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I toke so federal champion brass 115gr rounds and ran them through a Lee taper crimp die and test fired and they stayed put, this way I go back to the soft primer low trigger pull spring, also polished the TK custom moonclips much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts