Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am interested in getting one of these models but I am getting very different specs from Taurus web site and their catalogue.

First: Taurus web site says: Model 651 SHC model in Titanium
Taurus catalog doesn't even show this model. it shows the 651SS2 at 25ozs. which sounds right for a SS model

Second:Taurus web site says: Model 851SS2UL &ULT says you can shoot .357/.38 (on the description part) but the spec part says only .38???
Taurus catalogue says .38...Which is it?

I am looking for a non-blue model, 2" under 18 ozs. with a shrouded hammer and preferably .357/.38.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
With that weight restriction you're looking at the 651 SHC. You'll need the titanium frame to handle the 357 magnum loads. A steel frame gun runs around 25 oz +/-. The UL series are aluminum framed guns that handle 38 just fine but aren't up to the magnum loads. But they are cheaper than the Ti guns.

The 851UL might work better but then you are limited to 38 Special. But there are some good loads in 38 anymore so its not that much of a limitation.

Is there a definite reason you want the gun that light in 357? Even with a steel frame gun, magnums can be a handful. I've got a M650 which I use for pocket carry. The lighter gun will be easier but the heavier gun will work. And it's easier to shoot.

The descriptions seem to be generic to the model line. Yes, it would be nice if someone took the time to tweak the descriptions but they don't.

Steelheart

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.