1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
126 Posts
just bought the 651 on Friday, very happy with it. the .357 loads were a bear but the .38 was downright pleasant to shoot. going to get the crimson traces to go on it soon. love the shrouded hammer, no snags but still has SA capability.

·
Super Moderator
35,329 Posts
Handsome piece ya got there. Not sure what you was doin' there with all the html commands, so I posted the pic for ya.

Yeah, light weight guns with full power magnums tend to be a handful. That Crimson Trace looks like it fills the hand, though. A pocket style "boot grip" on a snubbie .357 will instill a flinch in the most seasoned of shooters. They demand a hand filling grip, but they're still kinda scary. :D You can buy magnum loads designed for the snubs, though, that take some of the sting out, yet still have more punch than a .38 +P.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NativeTexan,thanks I am still trying to get a handle on this e-picture stuff Doug

·
Registered
790 Posts
Reliability. That's the number one issue that comes to mind with snubby revolvers. I know there will never be a misfeed, jam, ejector problem, etc. My 650 has been and will continue to be the first line of home defense. I especially like the design of the 650 with the concealed hammer. My only issue with snubbies for conceal carry is five shots. Although one shot of a .357 would probably be enough to scare anybody off!. This baby really barks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was really suprised at how easily, for me at least, a few cylinders of 158 grain 357 Mags was outta my recently aquired 650 CIA? Now shootin' 125 grain mags is another story. I shot some out of my college buddy's S&W 642 and it was like slappin' my hand as hard as I could on concrete! No so with the 158 grainers. IWouldn't shoot a 50 rnd box, but it ain't enough to aquire the 125 gr. flinch. Great gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have settled on the Remington 125gr GoldenSabre for both my wifes Ruger SP101(3 inch) carried in the purse and my 650CIA ,they cross the chrony @ 1100fps, and according to "wet pack test" and ballistic gel tests penetrate @11 inches and expend to @ .590, and in my case are controllable. my 2 c Doug

·
Super Moderator
35,329 Posts
I'm getting a new to me SP101. I'll be doing some chronographing of several loads, all handloads, however. But, I have a variety of barrel lengths in the caliber now and think the comparisons with the same ammunition should be fun and perhaps informative. My 3" gun gets up a little over 500 ft lbs compared to 600 from a 4" and 750+ from a 6.5" gun. The little SP101 is a short barreled one, 2 1/4" I think. When I do this, I'll post results in the handloading forum for those interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts