Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found something interesting today... :bang:

Was sighting down my gun and the front sights had a chip out of the orange..looked at it closer and it was a torn piece of orange paper on there... :eek: :rolleyes:( who would have thunk that)
it is a sticker on it..never knew they put stickers on sights

How important is the orange on a sight in shooting?
Does it matter to you if they are plain or does the orange help somehow?
I have always had plain sights on my guns
If it makes a big difference, i might get them replaced.

Is there a paint or something that would work..
that would be more cost effective for me...
I kinda liked the orange sight..

thanks for your replies

·
Registered
279 Posts
from what i can tell the colored sights are their to aid in getting a good sight picture. like you said most older guns had the black sights and they worked just fine. they do make paint sold in gun stores for sights, but i've always used some of my wifes nail polish. I usually use a white, but you can go to walmart and get any color you want. Just be sure not to get a waterbased polish.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a S&W Model 25-2 in .45 ACP with a Patridge sight. It was terrific for sight picture but not so nice if shooting at something other than a slow pistol bull at any distance other than fifty yards. I cut out an equilateral triangular piece of address label and stuck it on the front sight with the acute angle at the middle of the top edge of the front sight and the other two angles about two thirds of the way down the sides of the sight. I then painted over it with clear flat paint to fix it in place. It provided terrific precision in aiming. The gun, sadly, is long gone, but the lesson remains.

ECS

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually use a white,
fords4life ....
what gives you a better sight pic--Orange or White
My back sight on my Tracker has a White rim around the outside of it..will the front sight get lost between the 2---if i use White
When i first saw the sight,wasn't sure i liked it.But after shooting awhile,i got used to it..

Went shooting today and it was like my sight pic dissapeared on me.. I could not hardley hit anything today..
Maybe i got messed up or something..this is kinda confusing for me..I know how to shoot and today was like i was blindfolded or something..i know this sounds stupid..really can't figure it out.. :rolleyes:
I am going to put Orange back on there somehow.. ;)

I am going to wait and see what some of the guys say on here..
kinda need some more answers now..UGH
I think i need more Shooting Tips plus knowing how to fix my sights...

thanks for the info... ;D

Elm Creek Smith ....
I cut out an equilateral triangular piece of address label and stuck it on the front sight with the acute angle at the middle of the top edge of the front sight and the other two angles about two thirds of the way down the sides of the sight. I then painted over it with clear flat paint to fix it in place. It provided terrific precision in aiming
Yikkees... :eek: :???:

Wow that really sounds like good advice..cept..
I am clueless on what you said..LOL ;)
You got to break it down to simple ******* terms... :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The nail polish trick works pretty good had a couple of old guns that had them, also we used glow in the dark paint or stickers for cheap night sights. You can get chevy or dodge orange in small quantities at a hobby store those pick up pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get chevy or dodge orange in small quantities at a hobby store those pick up pretty good too.
Thanks Ace..
All the replies are saying the same thing..
i forgot about auto paint though..being in Construction, my paint store where we buy..sells auto paint T.U kits..
i know that stuff will stick..

Thanks for all the replies you guys

I am going to put the sight back to orange

·
Registered
7,236 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.... Badge...
cool site...might do that when i have the money..kinda wondered if they made something for sights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.