Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I'm in the market for a .357 mag. I'm not a huge fan of Taurus but I'm not against them either. I have a PT111 9mm that won't die as much as I try to kill it it just keeps running. I digress...

I'm between two 6in models the 66 and the 627 tracker. I've got two smoking deals lined up 356.00 or the 66 and 375 for the 627.

I know the 627 is lighter due to the alloy but is the porting really that effective? The gun will be used for deer hunting in Delaware and range use strictly no home defense.

Is the 627 worth the 20 bucks in price?

Is there anything else I'm overlooking here being this is my first revolver?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I own the M66 6" with its smooth trigger and tack driver accuracy. I also have a tracker with the ported barrel. The porting takes up 1" of the barrel so deduct an inch off the rifling if that makes a difference. I suspect the M66 is a more ruggedly built revolver. I prefer the M66 a bit more even if the price were equal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bought the 66 today. Will post up again once I get it in and out some rounds through it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Replying too late to sway your decision but that doesn't matter because I wasn't going to do that as you bought what would have been my suggestion! I have the 66 with a 4" barrel and don't even have a 627 so my views are certainly biased ;).
Your quoted prices are "smokin'" to be sure! They are close to distributor prices. Those kinds of deals don't happen every day.
RE: the 66, not so sure that the extra weight difference is significant (~3 oz) but I do believe that heavier is important in that felt recoil will be less. Perhaps the porting on the 627 compensates for this IDK. I do like that the 66 has some "size" to it. Again, don't know just how significant that fact is in the 66 vs 627 decision. I have read that some folks are less than happy with the "Ribber" grips on the Tracker models. I'll qualify that by stating that I've read that about the standard grips on the 66 too. I like the grips on my 66 but would be open to trying out the Hogue "Mono Grip".
I look forward to your upcoming post about your experience at the range. I'm pretty sure that you'll be pleased.
BTW, welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks with lots of great info. Facts as well as opinions (you have to sort those out on your own:D).
Flex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts