Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up acouple ammo cans of this stuff at walmart... prolly shoulda asked before buying it but I'm guessing I'll be ok but does anyone have experience shooting 62 grain from a 1:9 barrel or is that pushing it to much? I mean I know it'll go bang but how will my results be effected?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think the general consensus is that the 1 in 9 twist rate is pretty optimal for the 55-grain and 62-grain projectiles. It's when you go into the high-60's and the 70+ grain weights that the 1 in 8 and 1 in 7 twist rates are seen to be beneficial.

Regarding the 62-grain stuff, I hope what I've stated is good info. I've got a case of 62-grain HP's waiting to be used!!

BK

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I picked up acouple ammo cans of this stuff at walmart... prolly shoulda asked before buying it but I'm guessing I'll be ok but does anyone have experience shooting 62 grain from a 1:9 barrel or is that pushing it to much? I mean I know it'll go bang but how will my results be effected?
A 1:9 twist barrel will handle bullets up to about 72 grains. The lighter (below 45 grains) and heavier (above 72 grains) bullets are ballistically unstable. I have read accounts of the 69 gr Sierra Match King bullet performing very well at this rate of twist.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I use anything from 55 to 70 in my 1:9 with pretty good results.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It depends on your distance, but out to 300yds a 62gr bullet will yield roughly the same results on paper from a 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist. You should be fine...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks guys I was just messing around on youtube, I got some of that 62 grain green tip stuff, 880 rounds at walmart and was looking around and saw a vid on youtube about it out of a 1:9 twist barrel and he was having some issues. I got kind of concerned but yeah I had also heard alot of the same thing so perhaps it was his rifle. Depending on how money is next week I may pick up another ammo can of the stuff. I also looked on gunblasts review on the SR556 which is what i'll be using and he actually posted nice groups with the heavier stuff, most accurate was actually Wolf Gold Match 75 BTHP.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can shoot up to 75 gr with a 1:9 twist. Anything heavier should use a 1:8 or 1:7 twist. It's the lenght of the heavier bullet that requires more twist. I load 69 gr rounds for my AR with a 1:9 barrel and it shoots great! Going to load some 75 gr and see how they do.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts