Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I've got a question or two about a 617B. I've had it for a while now, and have not been able to find a holster that is designed or says that it fits the 617 specifically. I alway worry that regular holsters that fit j-frames will be too tight since the cylinder is quite a bit larger than on a 5-shot snubby. Does anyone who owns the 7-shot 617 have a holster that works well for it? What about grips? Will any grips that fit a S&W J-frame fit my 617? I'd really like to find some nice looking dark-colored wooden grips. I've thought about carving my own, but just don't have the time these days to locate a source for the wood, make a template, machine them, carve them, then finish them. Much thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I had my 617B2 :'( I used an Uncle Mikes IWB holster. I carried mine as a BUG. And it fit pretty well.

If I hadn't sold it, I was looking into getting a OWB holster for it, but that was turning into a slight nightmare. If you have a gun store that you go to regularly, check with the owner and see if he'll let you try fitting it into whatever he has on hand. Many of the smarter (and more well off) gun dealers will let you do that, as long as the pistol is empty.

As for grips, I used the standard one that came with it, but I was going to get the Ribber grip from Taurus. Another 617 owner told me it let him put magnum rounds through the pistol without any difficulty. Taurus makes one for the 617, and it's not very expensive either.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd expect that you'd need to try either a K or L frame holster for a Smith revolver to fit. But I'd call Taurus to be sure before I spent money. As I type this, I'm thinking more L than K as Smith put the 7rd cylinders into the L frames and not the K frames.

Another thought might be a Ruger GP100 frame but watch out as they are only 6 shots and if the holster is boned tightly (the way the leather is molded) it might not work.

I think the Ribber grips will fit the 617's. If you run a couple internet searches (I prefer Google) there is a place that sells some nice wood grips. I think we talked about it in another thread in the Revolver section earlier.

Steelheart

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hogue makes grips that fit. They are for the 627 Tracker, same grips fit the 617. A little slimmer than the Ribber Grip. My Ribber Grips showed ware after a lot of carry time so I switched to the Hogue.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got a Galco IWB for mine. I don't like it that much. It's just a basic "loose" leather holster. I would prefer a high ride OWB holster for it. I've been to a few local gun shops and spent about an hour looking for the right holster for it, but have yet to find the perfect one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts