Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was browsing the local pawn shops and ran across a nice little snubby. I played with it for a minute or two then handed it back to the shop owner so I could look at something else. I asked him what model it was as I was heading out the door and he said a Model 615 SS. Can't find it on the Taurus website, but it looks an alot like the 617.

Anyone know if they made a 615 SS (looked brushed stainless) or was I looking at the 617 Titanium? Gonna have to stop back by the shop this week to see for sure, quoted me a price of $325.00 which sounded fair to me.

·
32,697 Posts
DRAEGER. Is this a 5,6,or seven shot revolver? What caliber. .357 maggy or .38 Special?

Just for gee whiz info there is no beast called the 615 and never was.

If a 5 shooter it's a 605 in .357 magnum. Or a 651 Protector. Did the gun shop guy get the digits mixed up as to the order they are in.

Protectors have a serrated nub of the hammer sticking out of the shroud for cocking for single action shooting if need be. 650s, which are CIA models have the complete enclosed shrouded hammer with no part of the hammer showing.

If a 7 shooter then it's either a 617 or a 817UL. .357 magnum for the former and .38 Special for the latter.

Give us details. :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Beware of gun store cowboys, who have no idea what they are selling. If you find a gun store with reliable owner / workers, keep it, patronize it often and guard it as a treasure. 8)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7 shot 357mag SS (looked brushed) with exposed hammer and about a 2" barrel, plus black non-ribbed factory grips. I will stop back by the shop Thursday or Friday and see if he still has it and I will get the correct model number then. Just wished I had paid better attention at the time.

I know this Pawnshop owner well (about 25 years) and have purchased many a gun from him over the years. I am guessing he make have simply told me the wrong model number as I was headed out the door. If I had been looking for a snubby, I would have paid more attention...

I wonder if the one I saw was an older model without the ribbed rubber grips or the original owner swapped the ribs for a set of standard Taurus grips?

·
32,697 Posts
Has to be a 617 if it's a .357 magnum. The only other 7 rounder is the newer model 66 and those were not made with a 2.5 inch barrel. Not the 7 rounders anyway. And that's all they make now in that model.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went back to the shop yesterday and gave it a good look over. It is a 617 "brushed" Stainless with factory non-rib grips, not the shiny chrome and it isn't a titanium model. We did the serial check on Taurus site but came up empty. The gun is used but looks mint condition and is apparently an older early model of the 617. Taurus has nothing like it listed on their website as far as finish, but at first look it does look exactly like the Titanium model 617 357mag 7shot.

I may bring it home in the nest week or two.... wife likes it too (thats always a plus).

·
32,697 Posts
DRAEGER. I know that you are aware of this. This is for public consumption for the most part.

One thing that was brought up in the gun magazines is that the .357 maggie versions of revolvers are harder to pocket carry in a holster because of the cylinder length needing to be slightly longer versus the .38 Special. Takes up more pocket room. This was before the advent of most of the larger pocket jeans,pants, and tactical shirts or pants know that are all the rage.

Budget restraints or lack of access to being able to obtain large pocketed garments are or were the reasons that many may not be able to hide a .357 magnum snubby and do so with a .38 Special.

This may not be pertinent to some. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've read many of those kind of articles by gun experts (lol) and discussed it in person with several of them... those stories amused me.

Tight, small pocketed pants came out in the 60's, snubbies came out well before that. The difference in cylinder length of a 38spl compared to 357mag is very small and seriously would not make or break a pocket carry for all but a few people. The real factor to consider would be the difference in the number of rounds that a cylinder would carry (5 shot, 6 shot, 7 shot or 8 shot revolvers), which could make any pistol much fatter regardless of caliber size and concealment much harder or atleast awkward.

Actual pocket carry is generally not the best way to carry, but then again sometimes you have limited choices and you can't always carry in a preferred way. Personally I like a revolver for nightstand use simply because there is nothing to do but point and squeeze the trigger, no safety to think about or anything else (simplicity).

You could just about do it in your sleep, wait a minute.. hasn't that been used a few times as an excuse for killing a spouse at home in bed... ;)

·
32,697 Posts
Yep. And all those who have done that are graduates of either the Loranna Bobbet School of Etiquette or the Lizzy Borden Finishing School. LOL :devil: :judge: :loco: :evil: :angel: :clap: :wave: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :devil: ::) :p :-X :-\ :'( ;D :D ;) :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I carry a 617 Taurus. I didn't like the stock grip it came with so I put the Taurus Ribber Grip on. The Ribber Grip seams to show ware after carrying. I now have a Hogue Grip. I have carried in a back pocket but most of the time it's in the waist. This gun is about the size of a 2" 686 or 66 S&W. I was carrying Two 5 shooters but One 7 shooter is a little less stuff to hide. When the weather gets colder and the clothes get thicker I may carry Two again. My gun is DAO. The trigger is smooth as silk and I have no problem shooting full house 357 ammo accurately.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Seems like an awesome gun for carry, similar capacity to a semi-auto of same weight, and less moving parts to worry about. Have the 66 in 4" and have never had a problem, and looking for a compliment carry wheel gun...and I think I have found it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts