Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought at the same time a Ruger Superredhawk .44 with the 9.5" barrel and a 608 with the 8 3/8" barrel. Both guns are to be used in 50 and 70 yard competitions without scopes.

The 608 is not much smaller than the SRW that is a massive gun. The 608 does not look like a .357 but like a .44.

The amount of filing and polishing that I had to do on internal parts was much more on the Ruger. On the Taurus the work was minimal. Also almost all Ruger revolvers are way over-sprung. I drop 4 LBS on the main spring and put a lighter trigger spring. On the Taurus the mainspring is perfect as a 2 LBS lighter ones does not prime all rounds so I went back to stock. I drop a lighter trigger spring that was not really needed. The out-of-the-box action on the Taurus is the best one I have seen, better than my former S&W 686.

Overall I am very impressed my 608. On the range shooting .38 feels almost like shooting a .22, the recoil is very minimal. Shooting .357 fells like shooting .38 on my 686. I guess the long barrel, the weight of the gun, and the porting do the trick.

Shooting .357 with the 608 is much louder than .44M on the Ruger, blame the ports for that.

This gun is a great buy. The quality is there regardless the Made in Brazil label that biases and turns so many people off.

I did not like the grips on both guns...Hogue are now in place.

I'd buy another Taurus in a heart beet.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Wow..fantastic review...good to here.. :D
and it sounds like you had a good time ;)

Rugers are great guns,but they tend to be overrated by the owners sometimes.. :rolleyes:

There are alot of guys on here with Rugers and also own Taurus, most of the time you will never here them say one is better that the other :) Each gun has its place where a person wants it...

Seems like the more i read the more clear it becomes that Taurus Handguns are right in there for quality and it seems to be getting better all the time..
For the working man, the price is very right also.. :D :D :D

I did not like the grips on both guns...Hogue are now in place.
I have the ribbers on my Tracker,and like them..but i am going to try some Houges also( Curious am I ;) )

·
Registered
261 Posts
My nephew has one and really likes it. It's a doggone big gun, though.

ECS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm very very happy with this 608. The trigger has no creep. The Ruger still has some and I am now playing with the sear notch to see what it can be done. What sucks is that Ruger does not send out hammers so if I screw it up I have to send the whole gun back...

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am happy with my 608. This summer I caryed it IWB waring shorts and a T-shirt for a few days, just to see if I could do it. It was OK, but I had to move it around a bit because it got heavy after a few hours. I will have to try it again this winter.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well you got me thinking about my 608, so I dug it out today, stuck it in my Maverick IWB Holster, and I'm out for a walk with my little Dog.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a great gun! I was able to get rig of all the creep on my Ruger. Rugers are awesome guns but rough and oversprung when stock. Now they are both super crisp. The work involved in the 608 was really minimal. A bit of polishing on the sear and sear notch and I got rig of .020" from the hammer, just in case...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like you got a good one. I just had one delivered by Bud's, and I'm not very impressed, perhaps even a little let down.

My Redhawk and GP100 lock up solid, the lockup on my 608 is poor in comparison. The yoke on the 608 deflects during trigger pull. The fit is generally good but the finish is very uneven.

Interestingly enough, this revolver is actually compensated as opposed to simply ported - a chamber is machined, very crudely - into the muzzle end of the barrel.

For it's issues it is still better than the .45ACP Tracker I once had. I believe it will serve it's only purpose, bowling pin gun, well. I bought it for the long barrel and the additional 2 shots and it cost half as much as a S&W 627. As far as quality though, mine doesn't compare to the Rugers or Smiths that I've owned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The compensator on the 608 is a very innovative idea, I think. Picture attached:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
8times.357 said:
Looks like you got a good one. I just had one delivered by Bud's, and I'm not very impressed, perhaps even a little let down.

My Redhawk and GP100 lock up solid, the lockup on my 608 is poor in comparison. The yoke on the 608 deflects during trigger pull. The fit is generally good but the finish is very uneven.

Interestingly enough, this revolver is actually compensated as opposed to simply ported - a chamber is machined, very crudely - into the muzzle end of the barrel.

For it's issues it is still better than the .45ACP Tracker I once had. I believe it will serve it's only purpose, bowling pin gun, well. I bought it for the long barrel and the additional 2 shots and it cost half as much as a S&W 627. As far as quality though, mine doesn't compare to the Rugers or Smiths that I've owned.
Wow...either I'm luck or you are not!

Seriously the action on my 608 is great even when it was stock. The lockup on my 608 is better than my Ruger SRH and my former 686...Also Rugers w/out any work have way too much creep and are way oversprung...every single one of their revolver! Said that with a little filing, polishing, and love they become better than anything on the market.

I don't have the yoke problem that you have mentioned (it sounds really weird as the 608 is so overbuilt for a .357) and even if the finish is not on the pair of S&W the tolerance is just as good if not better ( I had a 686).

PM me or post more details on the action problems you are having and I'll try to help you out solving them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I heartily agree that the Rugers are oversprung. I have Wolff kits in my Redhawk and GP100 and I am using the lightest springs in each. I don't feel confident in my abilities to do any filing, maybe if I had spare parts on hand. I think creep is a non-issue with the GP100 as I shoot mostly DA with it, but I occasionally do some 50 yd SA shooting with the Redhawk - I am pretty happy just with the springs being done. Both of these guns were purchased as used - I can't say what happened to them before they came into my hands, I recall now thinking at the gunshow that the Redhawk had been worked on because it is so tight and I also thought the trigger was nice but still oversprung. In the 80's I had a used Security Six that was a bit loose and another Redhawk that I took to a smith to lighten the trigger.

I am guessing that I could use a bigger cylinder stop on the Taurus (probably a factory only fix?), there is a lot of play in the cylinder, the yoke moving is probably related to that. Not having as much experience with these guns, I have already installed the lightest springs (Wolff kit again) and I agree that that is a bit light, but I think I'll be OK with Federal primers - had several light strikes with CCI's out of 120 reloads. I am not a good judge of what is perfect timing but the timing seems fine to me. This is not a self defense piece but a bowling pin gun, and judging from our 1st practice session the desired speed and accuracy is there or soon will be. Taurus scope mount for red dot is on backorder so I'll be using open sights again Saturday.

I am open to suggestions nicknitro71 and I much appreciate the offer of assistance. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then you must have a problem with your gun. Call Taurus. My cylinder has less play than my SRH and my former 686, impressive. So yes call them up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
After over a month wait I finally received my 608. Come to find out the store owner didn't know all the problems his help was causing and fired the guy. When the owner found out I had the gun in 2 days. I was told I was one of over 20 people waiting for guns never ordered. As for the 608 (8 3/8") this is one tight gun. Trigger is sharp and short. Previous posts are right as the 357 mag rounds don't feel as such. As said this is one great gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Update on my 608

OK, I pretty much slammed my 8-3/8" 608 (Bowling Pin Special) that I purchased new a couple of months ago. Now I am going to eat some crow. :-[

The first thing I did was install the lightest springs from the Wolff kit. I have had a couple of light primer hits, including one during a pin match, but that didn't hurt too much because of the additional cylinder capacity. The December match was the first time, in the revolver category, that I had no penalties due to leaving a pin or two on the table during the relay. Ironically I did not need the two extra rounds - it could have been the long sight radius - it could have been a confidence issue (knowing I had 8 instead of 6) - it could have been that steady heavy barrel - it could have been all of the above or something else.

The second thing I did was purchase these grips (pic at bottom of post):

http://www.trausch.com/form/accueilA.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/Trausch.htm

http://test.shootingsportsmoline.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
(enter Trausch in the search)

They take some getting used to, but I prefer them to the original for target shooting. YMMV.

So at this point, the issue I had with the lockup has disappeared. :???: With the trigger held fully back the cylinder is pretty tight.

I discovered another issue, where occasionally the cylinder turns stiffly over a quarter of it's rotation (2 chambers), seemingly triggered by operating the ejector in a certain manner. This problem too, may have mysteriously disappeared at this point. My complaint about the yoke moving during the trigger pull - I guess is OK since it doesn't negatively affect the timing (chamber/bore alignment).

I fired some hot reloads through it too, and as previously mentioned this handgun handles well with magnums. The fireball isn't as big as with my 4" Ruger, but it's just as loud. All of my paper punching is DA shooting.

My second pin match was also a success for the revolver category, by that I mean no penalties and a better time scored. However I did fire more rounds - 27 for 20 pins (4 strings of 5 pins) instead of the 23 I fired in December - because I decided to "go for it" a little harder. There were no light strikes yesterday and I attribute that to the Federal primers and pulling the trigger harder/faster. I fired the first round SA and the rest were DA, the changeup didn't bother me at all. Today I bought some Federal Match primers too, which I understand are softer still.

I've been waiting 2 months for my backordered scope mount to arrive so I can put a red dot on it...

So to sum it all up, I feel that I can happily join nicknitro71 and others as a satisfied 608 owner. Performance-wise it has fulfilled my expectations and with practice it will exceed them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts