Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a second hand 608 yesterday
went to the range for little fun and had a lot of problems

1. in single action the firing pin was pushing thought the primer and blowing smoke back at me
2. In double action I was getting light strikes and the ammo wasn't going off

So Any clue on my problem?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Wow. I would think that those two issues would contradict each other. VERY strange. I think a trip to Miami may be in order for your 608

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that was my thoughts there 2 completely different problems as for a trip to Miami i'm from Australia so i'd be better off paying my local smith to do it

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
Sounds like a vacation in warm and sunny Miami is called for.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
VERY strange. With the pierced primers I would think it was way over sprung and or it had a overly long firing pin. With the light strikes I would assume it was under sprung or had a shorter than normal firing pin. Odd indeed.

·
8,406 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Has someone removed material from the notch at the top of the Hammer? If not, I would suspect the transfer bar. Either way, after the problem is found, I would replace the firing pin and spring after finding the cause. I'm really leaning towards transfer bar being bent if the hammer hasn't been modified.
Hope this helps.
RC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it doesn't look like its been moded and the transfer bar is straight

as for the springs I don't there migh have been moded

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
both factory's were the ones being punched thought and reloads with light strikes

CCI in the reloads
That changes the whole thing. What brand of factory ammo were you using? You have two different hardness primers in the mix.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
I bet it had pierced primers both ways and somebody lightened up the hammer spring to try and cure it, causing the DA to fail. How's the headspace? Could be tolerance stacking, tight headspace and a long firing pin.

I suspect a new hammer spring and firing pin will fix it.

·
Banned
824 Posts
i would pull the side plate and replace the springs with new wolfs. Shoot again and see if the light strikes go away. If the pierced primers continue then focus on the firing pin.

I too believe someone has been inside it.

·
Registered
36,087 Posts
i would pull the side plate and replace the springs with new wolfs. Shoot again and see if the light strikes go away. If the pierced primers continue then focus on the firing pin.
I too believe someone has been inside it.
THAT was going to be my suggestion
Check the firing pin and see if its broken (IE: not smooth/ rounded ) but a jagged end, that could be punching through the primer.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
na not banned heavily restricted lots of papwerwork and only allowed to be used at a gun range ect ect

pretty much nothing expect full autos are banned but everything has a lot of paperwork and depends on what you do for a living you might be able to get semi autos but very hard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts